Forum home The potting shed

TJ

hello everyone; I’ve had what I consider to be a great idea; however before perusing said idea, I would appreciate some advice. I have a rather large lleylandii hedge; I’m wanting to cut deep into it to create an arbour, adding chicken wire or something to keep the curve,  leaving the long trunks as the back edge, then pot some clematis and training it to grow under and around the curved edge and sitting a bench in the archway. 
Will this destroy the hedge? I know the underside of the arch will be brown, hence the clematis? But is it doable? 
Kind regards TJ 

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,625
    edited 27 July
    You talk about creating an arch, but I think, knowing how cupressus branches grow, that you’d end up with a ragged brown hole that was prone to showering you with dead fronds as you sat on your bench.

And I’ve never met a clematis yet that grows where I want it grow, especially inside a hole rather than up up and away.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,468
    Afraid I agree with Pansyface, willow maybe
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,230
    I think your main problem would be planting clematis anywhere the leylandii to be honest. 
    The soil would be very poor and very little goodness left in it.
    You could spend time digging in soil improver etc. but it could be a tough job.
    You could maybe incorporate large planters into your design perhaps?   :)
    As for leylandii l think it's pretty indestructible, but as you say, it will look very brown where it's been cut back. 
  • Thank you for your advice and suggestions everyone; mmmm 🥺 a brown and messy hole doesn’t fill me with confidence; the big pots are a great idea. Looks like I’m back to the drawing board 🧐🧐 I think if I give it a go, it will be when I have the time energy and money to replace it with something of my choosing. ( moved in last yr) 😊😊
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,194
    I'd agree . The hedge will look pretty dreadful, and any clematis will struggle to do what you want them to do - even those which would be happy in pots and in a shady spot.
    If you made purpose built raised beds to grow them in, filled them with the right medium, and spent a lot of time training them in [probably round the front only]  it might be possible, but without seeing a pic of the area, and exactly what you're trying to do, it's difficult to visualise. I can't see it being particularly attractive to sit inside, unless the depth is quite shallow. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• This is the hedge, as you can see I’ve trimmed the bottom reasonably successfully, however with the advice so far I’m not sure the idea in my head will actually pan out 😜
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,784
    With that particular idea, my best considered advice is … Quit while you’re ahead 👍 

😉 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,215
    Absolutely!  It will be an unholy mess and never re-grow to hide your shame and blushes.

You can buy wooden arches, curved or right-angled or pointy tops and you could build that and put a seat under it and have very large pots either side.   You can even buy arches with ready made seats in them and trellis panels and planters at the side for climbers.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,194

I'd agree. Definitely quit while ahead  ;)
    Good option available as @Obelixx says - all easier than cutting into the hedge too  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....