Forum home Fruit & veg

Preserving Beetroot Chioggia

Hi there, 

Seeking a way of preserving my Beetroot that doesn't require cooking as I love the colours on the beet themselves and they are so delicious on salad.

Anyone got any trusted recipes as I've got a load that have grown massive in the last week and I want to get them preserved to use.

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,210
    You need something called a clamp:

https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=666 for info.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,039
    I bottle and freeze ours and they don't loose their colour.
    The bottled ones are sliced and blanched and then put into either cider or white wine vinegar.
    These are used in salads.
    The frozen ones are cooked a bit longer and then use in hot dishes later on in the year.
  • Any good spices to go with them in the preservation?
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,287
    Hi.  I do them as a carpaccio.  Thinly sliced, salt and cracked pepper and drizzled with olive oil.  Turnips are good this way, too.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,287
    @Obelixx  That's a good site.  I can usually grow root veggies here throughout winter successfully.  Trouble is, they get eaten by about February!!  

@Libbiewaddleton         It's sort of a shame to preserve in vinegar as it hides their delicate taste.  I would just enjoy them or try the cardboard and straw method.   The green tops are good to stir fry, too.  

We are eating some now and I will sow more root vegetables next month and early October for winter fodder.  We just love them on carpaccio.  Grated (raw) beetroot and carrot salad is also delicious.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

If you want spicy stuff, look online for Madhur Jaffrey's beetroot with onions or else beg, borrow or steal a copy of her first Indian cookery book done with the BBC.  Make a big  batch and freeze it.  Utterly yummy.   Another dish I like is beetroot baked with butter beans and a creamy sauce flavoured with horseradish.  You could freeze it in that state and then reheat it with a gratin or savoury crumble topping.   More yum.

Loads of recipes here too - https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/search/recipes?q=beetroot 

But please don't ruin it with vinegar.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Thanks evryone, it was more just a way of preserving them, our veg patch isn;t massive so I do have to rest it after each season and give it time to recover.

• bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,039
    I am sorry to disagree with Obelixx but the beetroot is not ruined by being preserved in a vinegar.
    It keeps its colour and flavour and keeps for a very long time.
    It is not ruined.
    But it tastes of vinegar!  Ruined for me.
  • WolveryetiWolveryeti Posts: 12
    Lactoferment it - slice it up and put in sealed jars with 3-5% concentration brine covering the beetroot.