Forum home Fruit & veg

Bougainville leaves yellow

LW23LW23 Posts: 20
Hi 
I bought a new bougainvillea in may.
when it arrived it was in a bad way, within the first two weeks it lost all of its leaves.
But over the last month or so it’s really picked up and I’ve seen a lot of new leaves and even starting to see some bracts coming through.
But the leaves are very yellow, with green veins.
I’m not sure if this is just because it’s arrived very stressed and is now recovering or it’s lacking something.

can anyone help please? 

• PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,765
    Can you say anything about the type of compost, feeding, the pot size and the amount of direct sunlight the plant has? I agree, it looks like a lack of nutrients but it would help to know about growing conditions first.
  • LW23LW23 Posts: 20
    I potted it in mix of John innes no 2 & 3 ( I read somewhere to do so in no 2 but I ran out and topped up with no 3) 
    it gets sun light almost all day
    pot size is about 300mm diameter
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 26,207
    I think you need to give it a high nitrogen feed to help green up the leaves and maybe a shot of Epsom salts in case it's short of magnesium - 15ml dissolved in 5 litres.

Have a read of this in case it helps - 
    https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=816 
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LW23LW23 Posts: 20
    Ok thanks I’ll try that 
    I agree. Much bigger container, too. They grow enormous. You will see roots coming out at the bottom when it's ready for potting up.
  • amancalledgeorgeamancalledgeorge South LondonPosts: 2,242
    Hope you realise that they aren't hardy out of doors in the UK. Such a high maintenance plant that never reaches its potential here unless it's in a heated greenhouse. And to think they grow like weeds in the mediterranean. 
    To Plant a Garden is to Believe in Tomorrow
    They do like to come out for the summer  until they get too big to move.