Forum home The potting shed

What potting mix should I use for my young Rosemary and Lavender?

Currently they are in a seedling cell tray in sterilised starting mix but theyre getting to the stage where theyre ready to be transplanted into their own individual small pots. What would be the best potting mix for them? Is it okay to suddenly switch them to a completely new potting mix or will it "shock" them? Do I need to gradually "ween" them off the starting mix each time I repot them as they get bigger? 

I'm also wondering whether theyll start needing to be fertilised once theyve moved into their individual pots now that theyre bigger and likely have long run out of any nutrients from the seed.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,086
    edited 24 July
    I would use a mix of something like John Innes No 1 loam based compost with a bit of added MPC about 4:1 and a bit of added horticultural grit. 

The compost will have enough nutrition in it for around 6 weeks so no need to feed. And in any event Rosemary does not need a rich soil so be careful not to over feed. 

I don’t feed potted Mediterranean herbs more than once a year in spring. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 4,000
    If your soil is decent you can substitute the John Innes with it, just use a bit more MPC say 2:1
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,086
    Loxley said:
    If your soil is decent you can substitute the John Innes with it, just use a bit more MPC say 2:1
    Totally agree ... that's what I'd do as we have decent loam here now.  :)
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• ElferElfer Posts: 329
    edited 24 July
    After consulting the forum members on here and a bit of research I potted up some herbs (rosemary, Chives, Oregano & Thyme) using aJI no 1 mixed with 25% grit back in early May. I have not fed it since and only water it every 3 or 4 days if it hasn't rained and as you can see they are doing well. You can see pic of the plants when potted up back in May on page 3 of below thread and how it looked a couple of weeks ago in the attached pic.

As for Lavender, I just potted mine up in my garden soil which is a bit chalky and that too is doing well.

https://forum.gardenersworld.com/discussion/1053739/what-to-plant-with-trailing-rosemary-in-a-pot/p1

• Thanks for your answers everyone! I see a few of you have mentioned using John Innes no1, however i've seen that John Innes no2 is for potting on, which is what i'll be doing. Is no1 better for these plants due to its lower nutrient value?

So I should use one of these John Innes mixes, some grit and possibly some multi-purpose compost mixed together? What use is the multi-purpose compost?