Forum home Plants

Lace cap hydrangea problem

I have a lace cap hydrangea that had curly leaves 2 or 3 weeks ago so I laid my hose down by the roots,I forgot about it though and it must have been watering the plant for an hour!
At first it seemed as if the leaves looked healthier but 2 to 3 weeks later the leaves are curly again and I have noticed the bottom leaves have started to wilt and fall off.I have had this plant for years and it's sad to thing it may die,it was the central display in my front garden and my largest plant.
Is there anything that can be done to help this plant or is it likely the roots have rotten from so much water?

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,811
    An hour of water won't have damaged it. In wet areas of the country, it can rain for hours and hours, and on a regular basis all year round. There would be a lot of dead hydrangeas if water was a problem, so don't worry about that   :)
    Any damaged leaves will certainly drop off, but it's more likely that the drying leaves are happening again due to sun/wind dehydrating them, and generally dry soil. A mature specimen has a lot of top growth to support, and if the soil's drying out, and there's hot weather for a while, it preserves as much moisture as possible for the bulk of the plant, and the extremities will suffer first as a result. It's unlikely to die unless there's some other problem as well.
    That's the most likely scenario, but without a photo, it's difficult to be more accurate.   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Posts: 11,287
    I agree - lots of water will not be a problem - Hydrangea is latin for water jar!
    So lots of water is not a problem - only a lack of it.
    As @Fairygirl says it's down to the weather and your much loved plant will be fine I'm sure :)

Billericay - Essex

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • bearfaced1977bearfaced1977 Posts: 14
    edited July 2021
    Hi thanks,I shall add some photos later.I hope it will be ok it was a lovely plant.