Forum home Plants

What is this growing in my agapanthus pot?

EustaceEustace Posts: 376
I found this tall plant growing in among the agapanthus. I do not remember planting/sowing anything else in this pot. Please help me with its identification. Thanks in advance.

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 7,252
    Whatever it is, you don't want it in your pot, so I'd carefully remove it before it gets any bigger and causes problems.
    It does look a bit buddleia-like,they pop up here and there in my garden
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,506
    It could be Verbena Bonariensis, they seed themselves.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 582
    I'd second Verbena B - they are prolific self seeders.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,154
    I third V. bonariensis - I think I can see that the stems are square in cross-section. Nice plant, but not in your Agapanthus.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 37,179
    You can take cuttings of it just now - very easy. Assuming you want it of course. 
    Then carefully remove and pot up the main plant. Once it's happy you can plant it out. If it comes out easily you can plant straight away.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• EustaceEustace Posts: 376

I do not have any V. Bonariensis in my garden. So, it is a welcome addition. I have removed the plant and potted it in another pot. I'll take cuttings over the weekend.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 37,179
    That's great  :)
    I do cuttings because they really don't seed much here, and the main plants often don't make it through winter unless we get a very benign one. The cuttings will take very readily just now. 
    I've not got any survivors this year, and I [stupidly] didn't take any cuttings last year, but I found 3 tiny seedlings which had got into the gravel under a mat which is beside my side gate. Potted them up the other day and they're fine. Result!  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Eustace said:
    I found this tall plant growing in among the agapanthus. I do not remember planting/sowing anything else in this pot. Please help me with its identification. Thanks in advance.

I'm not convinced it's Verb. bon. I have them seeding by the hundreds of thousands in my garden and the leaves on your self-set look too broad for V.B. It could be a different variety of V.B., but I can't say which type. I am quite happy to be wrong!    
  • EustaceEustace Posts: 376
    @Swooping Swallow I have anyway repotted it; I think I'll wait for it to flower :)
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,035
    I don't think it's bonariensis either, because mine have dark green leaves,they feel very thick to the touch,and have tiny white dots on the edges of the leaves. How about leycesteria?