Forum home Plants

Foxglove seed - when to harvest

WildFlower_UKWildFlower_UK Cambridgeshire, UKPosts: 213
I've had three varieties of foxglove in the garden this year, and they're just starting to come to the end of their bloom. I've promised some seed to family and wanted to ask whether it was OK to remove the green seed pod and place in a jar, instead of waiting for them to dry out and turn brown? 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 37,179
    No - they won't be viable if still green. You need to leave them on the plant.
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• WildFlower_UKWildFlower_UK Cambridgeshire, UKPosts: 213
    Great, thanks! I'll hang on a bit longer :)
    Just be aware though - they won't necessarily be the same as the parent plant.  :)

Ohhh I didn't know that! Pot luck is always fun :)
    They often revert to the bog standard, or cross. I had to get rid of a couple of varieties, because I wanted white only. Some whites are fine, some aren't. Fortunately one was fine and I now have several of them. 
    I can't vouch for other specific colours/varieties though. 

I have an anything goes policy so far in my garden, so all colours are welcome! But yes I can see how difficult it must be to stick to a colour theme as you don't know what you're gonna get til they're blooming! 
    Just the way of it isn't it? I had a nice foxglove Pam's Choice, which is white with dark maroon/purple spotting in the throat, but that reverted. 
    I'm afraid I dislike a lot of colours that other people really like - blue and peach for example, and pastel colours, especially pink.  :)

Pam's Choice looks stunning! I'm not a huge fan of the pastels but I'm still learning so just happy if anything survives in my garden :D It's definitely quite ecclectic but the bees are having a lovely time so that's always good.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,030
    They usually end up with the wild pink variety. 
    I pull those out from the roots before they drop seed. 
    There’s always a fresh lot of babies ready to be planted in their place in my choice of colours,  I did find the Dalmatian variety lasted true for a couple of years. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.