Forum home Problem solving

Keeping down weeds in a flower bed?

Hi. I am struggling to find enough time to keep down weeds growing in my flower beds and I am considering putting weed control fabric over the flower bed, with gaps where the plants are, and covering it with decorative pebbles.  Is there any problem with such an approach and would it be effective at reducing the weed control maintenance required? Thank you.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 70,345
    That won’t stop weed seedlings taking root amongst the pebbles and they’ll need hand weeding as you won’t be able to use a hoe. 

Far simpler to hoe the surface lightly every little while to remove the weedlings … on a hot sunny day you don’t even have to pick them up after hoeing as they’ll quickly shrivel and die. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 37,104
    It's debatable.  :)
    In an area that you don't use or see much, with mainly shrubs, it can be a lower maintenance alternative. Beside driveways etc. However, shrubs need less care in terms of feeding, so that helps, as it's not easy to use a granular feed in those circumstances . Perennials and climbers are different, and need more feeding, and having gravel and membrane means you need to do a lot of liquid feeding, especially as you can't add organic matter either. Feeding the soil is always better than adding liquid feed. 
    An easier way, if you don't have time for regular weeding, is to add a thick layer of that organic material as a mulch. That helps suppress weeds. Make sure to do it after the ground is well dampened though  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 70,345
    Agreed @Fairygirl … an organic mulch is preferable to weed fabric and pebbles … at least you can hoe a layer of mulch. 😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,024
    You also have birds dropping weed seeds on the surface
  • Thanks very much for the very helpful replies …. I really appreciate benefitting from your experience. You all make points that I hadn’t thought through and they are very valuable indeed.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 37,104
    If you don't know @KeenButNovice - you don't  know   :)

It doesn't mean you won't have any weeds, but it all helps, and it's easier to hoe or pull out anything when it first emerges. Little and often.
    Having some low growing, ground covering planting also help if you have larger gaps   :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....