Forum home Fruit & veg

Cucumber plants

2»

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,494
    I see your point about taking longer to grow,  I could pick one a day for them. I have plenty of room for growing here.
    I’ll get some Beth Alfa seeds 160 seeds for 99p, they will need to be grown in the GH but that’s ok.
    Philippa, knowing what the climate is like here, would yours grow outside? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I’m Growing a lunchbox cucumber called Diva, and yes it’s living up to its name.
    slow to germinate slow to grow and I’m still waiting for the first cucumber, of course it could be me, it’s all very frustrating!!!
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,989
    Well @Chrissy the gardener I too have Pasandra,  a mini, but unlike the other variety it has been slow to produce. I don't think it's anything we've done,  it's all down to the weather. Obviously Beth Alpha is coping better than Pasandra ( which I grew last year and was fine) with this years fluctuating temperatures. 
    Ideally I’d like one that fruits from February to November 😀
    i think I’ll stick with the Beth Alfa, and one or two of the long variety. 

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,547
    Growing Delicate this year because it's small,hubby hates them,but the skins are tough this year and I'm removing them. Usually grow Femspot. Can we have a picture of your snail 🐌
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 889
    Lyn said:
    I see your point about taking longer to grow,  I could pick one a day for them. I have plenty of room for growing here.
    I’ll get some Beth Alfa seeds 160 seeds for 99p, they will need to be grown in the GH but that’s ok.
    Philippa, knowing what the climate is like here, would yours grow outside? 
    Could be a bit iffy Lyn. First time with these and the blurb says indoors or outdoors and both doing well here but you could be a bit chilly at the important time ?
    I think the ridge are more reliable outside but the skin is tougher.  
  • purplerallimpurplerallim LincolnshirePosts: 3,989
    I think @Lyn will be fine alot later than us, she is down south it stays warmer longer down south, she can grow what we can only dream of up here in the Midlands.😉
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 889
    Lyn's also a bit higher - Down South isn't always quite what it seems :D  
    Should be warmer as it’s down south, but we’re 960’ above,   So we have to minus 3 degrees for height.
    I don’t think they will grow outside here,   I don't plant anything out until June,  I have plenty of GH space so I don’t mind doing that.

@Nanny Beach. Here are two of them, I have five, they are still young, 9 months old and the shells are 4” long, footplate of about 6 to 7” .

These two are going to mate later.