Forum home Problem solving

Yucca falling over

have a beautiful yucca that's been with us for over 20 years.  It was thrown in the front garden without a pot when we moved in, and stayed that way till we decided to plant it in the back garden several years later as it refused to die.  It started to grow sideways and we assumed this was towards the sun, but its got much worse suddenly and after googling it looks like we might have root rot.  In the last few days the base of the trunk has started to "bleed" sap. :'( Very upsetting.  Does anyone have a clue what's going on please and if there's anything we can do to save it?  Can saw it off at the bend and coax new roots?  Any advice greatly appreciated.
PS There's a new head growing to the leaning size.  Can this be saved if the main plant can't?
Thank you!

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,096
    There's a section on this link about taking cuttings which has got to be worth a try
    https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/ornamental/foliage/yucca/yucca-leaning-over.htm
    I thought it may be leaning due to drought,  but the fact it's bleeding sap makes me think it's more serious than that.
    Hopefully someone can confirm/advise.
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 37,099
    I don't think that's happy at all unfortunately. I think that's rotted at the base, and probably below ground too, which would account for the severe lean.
    As you say there's another section growing, it might be worth trying to save that, and doing cuttings as @AnniD says.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• joA-QBNaYkjoA-QBNaYk Posts: 2
    Thanks so much for the help.  As I thought, this sounds very sad!