Forum home Garden design

Reusing old lumps of concrete in the garden

Just before I take it to the tip, I wondered if I could reuse a collection of concrete lumps around the garden. Not sure I'd want a concrete rockery, but what else might be fun?

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,322
    I wouldn't bother! I often find lumps of all sorts here, because it's at the end of a row, and full of all the sh*te of the day from builders. Broken bricks, concrete, lumps of kerb stone etc. Life's too short to waste time trying to find a use for it  ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,383
    Unless you need hardcore for foundations for a building or driveway, it's not worth saving.
  • AstraeusAstraeus Posts: 199
    Or backfill for a retaining wall to aid drainage. But excepting those, it's an eyesore best disposed of.
  • scooty883scooty883 Posts: 34
    Concrete of a certain age can look fantastic if clean wet cut or wet cored due to the different colours of the aggregate used! Saying that,it would be a lot of time effort to produce something you have no plan to use?
    I'm fortunate in digging a lot of ground throughout the year,some of the stone can look wonderful and it's free 😀
  • LoxleyLoxley Posts: 3,976
    If you fancied making a habitat area, you could break them down into smaller pieces (maybe leaving a few big bits) and adding other aggregates, sand etc. Then add self seeding plants (native and otherwise) into the area. 

Why our waste could become our best wildlife habitat — Grass Roof Company
  • bcpathomebcpathome Buckinghamshire Posts: 231
    I like that last idea. Send a few my way I’d like to do that. 
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,501
    Elderberry we need a picture. We were always going to do ,"something," with it, especially as it's blooming heavy,and the tip now charges for bags of rubble and aren't allowed to help you lift it in to the skips. It's now gone.
  • SeahorseFriendSeahorseFriend Tyne and WearPosts: 51
    What do they look like? I'm using some mossy weathered ones to disguise a drain inspection chamber :)

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,501
    O like that seahorse,but can I have one but with a ginger cat please
  • HomemadeLookHomemadeLook North EssexPosts: 14
    I painted some in cuprinol Cottage cream and they look surprisingly similar to the Cotswold stone rock things I'd bought