Forum home Plants

New wisteria pruning and training

AmyB.AmyB. Posts: 8
Hi forumites.

I know... Another post about wisteria pruning.

Quick q, I hope. This is the wisterias first growing season, having been planted last autumn. It of course is not the shape or height I want: do I prune it, or not?

I've read posts about only pruning once the height of length is there, but is that hard and fast or should I prune the shoots it's throwing out mid-next month despite it still being relatively small?

Tia

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,003
    If it's still young I would leave it alone and just make sure it has enough feed and water to keep it healthy till leaf drop in autumn.   The more foliage you leave on now the more it can photosynthesise and provide the energy to grow a strong, deep root system which it will need later on.

Next July, maybe shorten any lower whippy shoots so it concentrates energy on growing stems higher up.  Much depends on how you want it to grow.

The two mature wisterias we inherited in this garden now have thick trunks which we keep bare tho they still try and send out side shoots.  The main flowering stems also come from strong, woody horizontal branches above window height.  I randomly cut back any whippy stems that exceed bounds or try and mug me when I walk past.  In winter I get up a ladder and remove any heading for the roof or gutters.

The one we have planted is now in its 3rd year and I am deliberately training it long and low to cover a mesh fence at the front of our veg plot so it hides the compost bins in there.  The longest whippy shoots get guided along the fence and anything growing towards the veggies is cut off.  It seems to be working as it's flowering for teh second time this year, as are the two big ones. 

Have a read of this - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=242  
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • AmyB.AmyB. Posts: 8
    Thank you @Obelixx! Speedy and useful!

I have read the RHS article, multiple times, but although it's useful for established and old plants, it doesn't mention new plants. I'm all ready with my twice yearly prune, but was wondering when to start.

Now I know!

Wish me luck and thanks again
  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,003
    I do wish you luck.  They are glorious in flower and the foliage is quite attractive too when the flowers are over and the perfume is heady.
    Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw