Forum home Tools and techniques

Do you use a ride on mower?

Hello!

I am looking to invest in a ride on mower and I was wondering if anyone currently has and used one? 

This is the one I am looking to purchase: https://www.blacktrac-compact-tractors.co.uk/product/shibaura-sg280-all-terrain-ride-on-mower/

What do you think? 

Many thanks, 
Em

• PlantmindedPlantminded WirralPosts: 91
    Hi there, have a look at this GW link, there are two parts: Ride-on Mowers Buyer's Guide Part One - BBC Gardeners' World Magazine (gardenersworld.com)  Hope this helps.
    "Gardening adds years to your life and life to your years."  Anon.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,793
    That looks a really serious heavy duty piece of kit, professional size. Do you have a huge garden with slopes? That tractor mower is made to mow slopes. I have a Kubota, elderly now, but it works beautifully, bought when we had a 2 acre garden but it wouldn't do the steep slope. Kubota is also top of the range.

If you just have a big garden and no big slopes it could be better to buy a newer, smaller machine. That one is secondhand, first sold in 2013. My Kubota dates from 1998 but spare parts are getting scarcer.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,928
    @emilyZxUSMkAR what kind of garden do you have?
    We hope you are not trying to flog kit.
  • PosyPosy Isle of Wight.Posts: 2,776
    We have found they are only useful when you have a large, bare, stretch of flattish grass. We have lots of grass but with trees,  shrubs, bulbs, beds and borders. It was so much hassle to work round all these things that we abandoned our inherited ride-on and use a larger mower. It is easier to manoeuvre and you don't have to get on and off all the time.
  • Hello all, 

Thank you all so much for your responses. For those wondering, we manage and volunteer at a large sum of green spaces in the area, helping local churches to cut the grass as well as cutting our own land. With mixed terrain, mainly hills, we were looking for something a little more heavy-duty to help. We have been in contact with a few local companies, including the one above, helping to find us the perfect ride on mower, but for the time being, we will continue to use our older lawnmower. 
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,150
    the guy who fixes my RUBBISH John Deere ride on says I should have bought  a Countax mower
    Devon.
  • ColinAColinA Posts: 308
    Husqvarna make an excellent four wheel drive rear steer mower which is very good in cemeteries and churchyards for manoeuvrability around headstones
  • ColinA said:
    Husqvarna make an excellent four wheel drive rear steer mower which is very good in cemeteries and churchyards for manoeuvrability around headstones
    Thank you for the heads up! I'll keep this in mind.