Forum home Wildlife gardening

Looks Like a Caterpillar But is it?

I'm not going to lie, I have no idea whether this is a thing or not.

I saw it on my greengage tree and the hairs remind of a caterpillar but to be honest I'm not sure what it is. If it's a caterpillar it's an incredibly short one.

Sorry the photo isn't great, it was in a really difficult place to photograph. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,777
    Is it the previously shed skin of a caterpillar who has since moved on?

https://naturallycuriouswithmaryholland.wordpress.com/2019/07/27/caterpillars-eating-molting/
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,520
    It could be a shed skin from a hairy caterpillar. The shed skins seem to shrivel up as they dry out so they look a bit odd. 
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 18,431
    Could it be a Burr? 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 576
    Looks like a seed case from some plant? I’m sure I’ve seen similar in the garden, and had them stuck to my clothes.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,769
    I think it's the caterpillar of the Garden Tiger Moth, also known as a furry bear.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • februarysgirlfebruarysgirl Posts: 359
    Caterpillar skin definitely looks most like it. The only fluffy one I've seen in the garden this year is a vapourer moth but the above looks more white. Would love to know exactly what it is, me and my cousin had a hairy caterpillar obsession when we were kids. All I remember is that they were black and orange and we'd be up to our armpits in rashes 😂 We were constantly being told to leave them alone but nope, we'd be back out looking for more!