Forum home Garden design

Newly laid rolled turf help required

Hi, hoping one of you fine people can help here. Parents bought some new lawn but left it a few days before laying. It's now been 3 days since laying at it looks like this. Is this normal, or should it be fully green? If its done for, is there anything to salvage it, or start fresh?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 72,025
    Whoops!  However ... get that hosepipe and sprinkler on in ... at least two hours all over every evening ... if there's bits that don't get properly wet then lots of water with a watering can every evening.  Make sure edges and joints are well watered.  Don't walk on it without putting a board to walk on first.

Did they lay it themselves or did they pay someone to do it?  

I would've been much better to lay it in a staggered bond ... like brickwork ... if they paid for it to be laid then that's really not good enough and I would insist on it being re-done ... but if they did it themselves they obviously did the best they could and we are where we are ... I don't think there's much to be gained by taking it up and re-laying the same turves ... others with more experience may think differently ... 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• WilderbeastWilderbeast East YorkshirePosts: 1,227
    Water, water and more water. Do in the evening so it doesn't just evaporate, grass is tough stuff but turf needs TLC. Stay of it and don't now for 3 weeks at least
  • Jay_2428Jay_2428 Posts: 2
    Much appreciated for the replies. I'll tell them to get their hoses out! 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,432
    Get hold of a bar-type oscillating sprinkler (one that covers a square/rectangular area) if you can. This sort of thing (other brands/shops available) https://www.toolstation.com/draper-oscillating-water-sprinkler/p72096?utm_source=googleshopping&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=googleshoppingfeed&mkwid=s_dc&pcrid=515847200300&pkw=&pmt=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIp4C8trvv8QIVSKjVCh0cRgWsEAQYASABEgKrCfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds .  Most people don't have the time or patience to water for long enough over the whole area with a hose, and you probably want a minimum of half an hour on every part of it in this heat, preferably when the sun's moved off it in the evening.