Forum home Tools and techniques

lawn mower recommendation

124»

• Dave HumbyDave Humby HampshirePosts: 1,142
    KT53 said:
    An environmental comparison between a petrol and battery mower is not easy to make.  The components for the battery have to be mined and that requires the use of fossil fuels or something close to slave labour.  There are also the issues with disposal of the battery at end of life.
    ....and not forgetting how the UK generates most of it's electricity :smile:
  • newbie77newbie77 LondonPosts: 1,485
    I usually visit only rose thread and missed replies earlier.

Thanks for your help, lots of recommendations to look at. 
  • BenCotto said:
    Ryobi scored 5/15 for dealing with long/wet/rough grass and 7/15 for grass collection.
    Maybe it didn't score any better because the blade doesn't come properly sharpened. I do sharpen my blades myself and it deals with any grass well. Having said that I try to mow on regular basis, once a week sometimes twice a week, lawn is very dense but my little mower cuts the grass easily wet or dry... Well, mostly wet as we are talking about Northern Ireland. I don't collect clippings but it's quite good at mulching.
    KT53 said:
    An environmental comparison between a petrol and battery mower is not easy to make.  The components for the battery have to be mined and that requires the use of fossil fuels or something close to slave labour.  There are also the issues with disposal of the battery at end of life.
    I disagree, pretty much anything manufactured requires fossil fuels, including extracting, refining oil into petrol and then transporting it. Slave labour is such a vague term which can be slapped on anything manufactured (mostly in China). Battery once manufactured (at least for power tools) lasts ages, can be used on any tool, there is no air and soil / water pollution from spillages and there is much less noise. Definitely less impact.