Forum home Tools and techniques

lawn mower recommendation

• TheVanguardTheVanguard Posts: 127
    You can always get a mulching lawn mower, they cut the grass up very finely and leave it on the grass as a mulch.

honda do some I’m sure 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,388
    I'm not convinced that a mulching mower would cope well with long grass and infrequent cuts.
  • ElferElfer Posts: 329
    I bought an electric mountfield mower earlier this year and am very happy with it but I only have two small lawns (front & back). I did buy an Ego battery hedge trimmer last year and its very powerful much more than my old electric Bosch one. For the record you could buy an additional battery if one doesn't finish the job. I would definitely recommend Ego cordless products if price is not an issue as they are very well made.
  • WoodgreenWoodgreen Posts: 1,267
    JennyJ said:
    I'm not convinced that a mulching mower would cope well with long grass and infrequent cuts.
    I have a collecting mower and a mulching mower, both petrol.
    I wouldn't be without the mulching mower but JennyJ is right, it would not be suitable. Mulching mowers work really well on dry regularly cut grass, but if the grass is long and wet too much time is spent stopping to clear grass from underneath the mower deck, and grass is left on the surface. Wet grass clogging up the mower deck seems to strain the engine too, so they really are only suitable for dry grass that is cut weekly.
  • KT53KT53 South WestPosts: 7,263
    I use a Honda IZY petrol.  At the end of 'No Mow May' I had 13 full grass boxes from a 100 by 30 foot lawn!
  • TheVanguardTheVanguard Posts: 127
    edited July 2021
    Woodgreen said:
    JennyJ said:
    I have a collecting mower and a mulching mower, both petrol.
    I wouldn't be without the mulching mower but JennyJ is right, it would not be suitable. Mulching mowers work really well on dry regularly cut grass, but if the grass is long and wet too much time is spent stopping to clear grass from underneath the mower deck, and grass is left on the surface. Wet grass clogging up the mower deck seems to strain the engine too, so they really are only suitable for dry grass that is cut weekly.
    While they do work best on regularly cut laws, if you go for a higher end model with more power you can get through some much taller grass.. This you tube video has a Honda cutting grass over a foot tall. If your happy to bag your clippings and forego the mulching you can get a high lift blade which will work on tall and wet grass!
  • WoodgreenWoodgreen Posts: 1,267
    edited July 2021
    Very good. But where I live long grass never dries even after weeks without rain. There has been no rain here now for well over three weeks (very unusual for this area!) but any grass longer than my regularly mown grass is wet underneath and is best cut with a brush cutter.
    When I bought the mulch mower ( Stiga, with a Honda engine) the salesman was very honest about the capabilities in Cumbria's high rainfall, and said they work best in drier climates, so are popular in the U.S. and he advised little and often. Not easy in a wet summer, but a breeze in a good one.
    So I still think that for my acre and a half it's better than having to collect all the grass -- I use my collecting mower on some of it, in order to add enough to the compost bay.
    I just feel that for the OP it probably isn't the best solution.

Edited to add:
    in fairness I may be too influenced by my location. If the OP lives in an area of low rainfall then cutting every three weeks or so with a mulching machine may be satisfactory?
  • AlbeAlbe Posts: 109
    Our lawn is about 600 m2, so fairly big.
    We just changed from corded to battery operated, the smallest 36V Einhell. 

Battery mower are great because you get rid of the cord hassle. Love it. Expensive unfortunately, and even worse for the environment compared to corded ones because every few years must throw away the spent battery and buy new ones (still, not as bad as petrol ones, apparently).

We have 2 x 4Ah 18V batteries and they need more charges to do the full garden, but not an issue for us.
  • CompostmaniaCompostmania NorwichPosts: 27
    Whats your budget? i have a 750m2 lawn and recently purchased a Cobra rechargeable mower (MX51S80V 21"). I can do the whole lawn on a charge and still have 25% charge left. You can collect in the grass box, side discharge or mulch depending on which setting you use. Fantastic cut and so easy to use.
    I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong...
  • KT53KT53 South WestPosts: 7,263
    An environmental comparison between a petrol and battery mower is not easy to make.  The components for the battery have to be mined and that requires the use of fossil fuels or something close to slave labour.  There are also the issues with disposal of the battery at end of life.