Forum home Tools and techniques

lawn mower recommendation

• richardellis66richardellis66 Posts: 28
    edited July 2021
    We use a Greenworks 40 v 41" cordless lawnmower which does out 120 foot garden on a single charge (even has charge left for the cordless strimmer) and 2  loads of the grass bag (3 first cut of the season or if we leave it too long). It is quiet and effective 

Petrol mowers should be banned. Horrible noise and smell and who knows how much pollution
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,984
    I had a Honda petrol mower, quite a big, powerful one, which was brilliant, easy to start even straight after winter. But it died aged 30 yrs.

Now I have a Stihl battery mower, it was expensive but I am very pleased with it. You can either use the grassbox or mulching attachment. My lawn is big.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • newbie77newbie77 LondonPosts: 1,485
    edited July 2021
    I think my problem is I dont mow regularly. If you can have only 3 bags full of grass from 120 ft then you must be cutting regularly.

I mowed yesterday and I had two big wheelie bin full of clippings. 

I use one extension cord. At a stretch I mow half so 60-65 ft length of cable.

Thanks for recommendations. I am still not sure battery one would be powerful enough for long grass. looking for more options on cable and petrol one.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 19,984
    The Stihl has a lithium battery and is pretty powerful, surprised me, but it is pricey.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,964
    The 3 highest scoring mowers in the Which trial were

Ego LM190 3E - 47cm self propelled battery, 23 minutes battery life
    Cobra MX515 SPB1 -51cm self propelled petrol.
    Rotak 43 Egoflex - 43 cm with roller not self propelled, 37 minutes battery life

For handling long/wet/rough grass the scores were Ego 15/15, Cobra 14/15, Rotak 14/15

For grass collection challenges Ego 9/15, Cobra 13/15, Rotak 11/15

These scores suggest your fears about the suitability of the mowers for your particular tasks might be unfounded.
    Topping up my last post, the battery powered Stihl RM 339 also fared well. It has a 37 cm cut and the battery is good for 31minutes. No rear roller. Not self propelled.
    Grass cutting 13/15, grass collecting 14/15
  • newbie77newbie77 LondonPosts: 1,485
    Thanks. Very helpful. Long wet grass trial is especially important for me. 
  • BartlomiejBartlomiej Posts: 18
    I would recommend Ryobi One+ Lawnmowers, if someone has their battery powered tools, it will be cheaper. I find their system excellent for the money, given the fact their battery mount will not change over the years. You can take old tools and new battery, and it will work.

I own this one:

and also their battery powered scarifier, not including tools.

One thing though regarding battery, definitely recommend 5.0Ah one.
  • EmerionEmerion Carmarthenshire Posts: 434
    We have a lot more grass than you, spread around a number of areas, and we use a Mountfield petrol mower. I don’t think the model is still available, but it it was a midrange one as I recall. It’s been a reliable workhorse at a reasonable price. Petrol is not a scary issue, if you keep it in a proper container, designed for the purpose. It will come with a pouring-spout that helps you to aim the fuel into the tank easily. You don’t need to store a huge amount either. I think our 5 litre containers last about 5 or 6 mowing sessions.
    Carmarthenshire 
    If at first you don’t succeed, have some cake. 
    Ryobi scored 5/15 for dealing with long/wet/rough grass and 7/15 for grass collection.