Forum home Fruit & veg

Miserable globe artichoke

RubyRossRubyRoss Dublin, IrelandPosts: 94
Hello, I planted a Green Globe artichoke last year. Initial growth was full and silver. Some yellow spots appeared on the leaves a few months and it has declined steadily since then. The leaves are curled and discoloured and the buds are rotting - statuesque it is not.

I read that aphids can do damage, but can they do this much damage? My soil is loamy clay - most things grow exceptionally well  - and it's in full sun.

• bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,700
    We have grown globes for many years now. This year has been difficult with the frosts cutting back the growth earlier on and now little rain. They do need a lot of water to produce the globes.
    Even with the browning of the globe leaves you could still cook them and eat them.
  • RubyRossRubyRoss Dublin, IrelandPosts: 94
    It's properly rotting - there are flies coming out when I tap it. I also read that I should cut them down the first year for the health of the plant. It needs all the health it can get.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,045
    Ours get manky looking by August and get cut down.  They then re-shoot and re-grow.

They've been in 4 years now and I've concluded that the whole peeling, cutting and removing of the choke is a palaver tooo far so we leave the flowers to open and delight the insects and birds and then cut them down when they are tatty.

I can get artichoke hearts frozen or in oil here and that's a lot less faff.  
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • RubyRossRubyRoss Dublin, IrelandPosts: 94
    I'm not crazy of faff either! I'll see what happens
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,322
    I love eating globe artichokes … I quite like the prep too … we’re thinking of replacing our rhubarb with artichokes … 🤔 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• My globe artichokes were badly hit by the late cold snap. Only 3 heads this year, usually I have so many I end up sharing them with family and friends. I have decided to give mine a rest and not crop them this year, hopefully, that will give the plants a chance to bulk up again. They are looking very miserable, spindly and miserable. I am toying with the idea of digging up the root balls and replanting the new babies.
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 11,337
    I had one for about 5 years, but it poked out a tatty-looking leaf early this year, had a look around and then perished.  I bought it as a young plant from an honesty box outside a house I used to walk past when visiting my late mum, so seeing it always reminds me of her.  I'll be growing some from seed to replace it but am more after the ornamental look than harvesting the heads, so can anyone recommend a more floriferous variety than a 'kitchen' type?
    A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 28,045
    Just let the kitchen type grow.  Ours are huge now and covered in flower heads in the most virulent, glossy shade of purple.
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,700
    We have now harvested 30 and we and the family love them.