Forum home Problem solving

Hearing aids

• madpenguinmadpenguin Isle of WightPosts: 2,386
    I wear hearing aids from NHS. Everything free like other comments. But agree a pain with covid mask on, when you take it off, gets tangled in the ear loops.
    I put elastic so it goes round the back of my head rather than on my ears.
    Glasses,hearing aids and a mask are just too much for my ears !
    “Every day is ordinary, until it isn't.” - Bernard Cornwell-Death of Kings
  • CompostmaniaCompostmania NorwichPosts: 23
    Ask your GP to refer you to the Audiology Dept of your local hospital. I also have tinnitus and hearing loss. When I was first diagnosed I (foolishly, with hindsight) chose to go to Specsavers for my NHS hearing aids. Was seen by someone who really didn't know what they were doing. Hearing Aids were poor from Day One. Because of the problems I had they convinced me that private (expensive) hearing aids were the way forward. Big mistake! Couldn't get on with them but put up with them for a few years. Mentioned my issues to my GP who suggested the audiology dept. Ended up with a "proper" hearing test and new small hearing aids - all for free! I could even choose the colour! End result - much better hearing...
    I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong...
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,468
    Compost mania have done all that,plus had CT scan,but for the past year, easier to see the Pope. I have zero faith in Specsavers,3 different branches gave me incorrect script for glasses,third incorrect treatment for eye problem
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,209
    @Compostmania - You're right. Always go through the GP and hospital dept. My Dad was almost completely deaf, from a very young age -deaf in one ear, partial hearing in the other. He wore a hearing aid his whole life. Without it he was helpless. About 1 year before he died, he phoned me and left a message to say it wasn't working - new fangled ones which were bl**dy hopeless. He only realised later that, of course, he wouldn't have been able to hear my reply, but he was in a bit of a state. I went to get him and we went to the hospital, and eventually got it sorted. 
    I won't go into the problem with the rude nurse, who treated him as if he was thick rather than just deaf. He was 90 at the time. I'll never forget her 'tone'.  >:) 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

As for worrying about the look of the aids,I've always thought people walking along using these WiFi thingys with the phone looks like mad people talking to themselves.  However,my late lovely Mum said talking to yourself was the only was to guarantee a sensible answer!!
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,772
    Our local Specsavers has been great for glasses and hearing aids. Must depend on who works there.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
    Crawley branch gave me the completely wrong script,them a lens fell out the day after I bought them. East Grinstead,had the pre tests,said I was night nursing asked about job and hobbies,then I saw the optometry lady,she said as I was (mildly) short sighted,I shouldn't work on the dark,,OR get tired!! Presumably didn't read the paper work. Then she prescribed me reading glasses,this was about 15 years ago,she said just go to Boots buy a cheap pair, script of plus 2,my hubby who is very short signed didn't have a script of 2,I couldn't see to read,made me feel sick and dizzy. I still don't need read ing glasses. 
    I had conjunctivitis,which wasn't clearing after a visit to pharmacy,so off to GP also had eye pain,he told me to go to an emergency rye clinic. To be fair the one he gave me details of was several miles away,so I looked them up, desided to go to Specsavers because it was a lot near. She diagnosed Blepharitis,told me to use cleaner and drops for ever. For 10 years have been going to Asda opticians,mostly the same chap,who once did a 3 hours eye test because he thought I might have a detached retina. I actually have Dry eye syndrome,he said if I use the medication permanently,you get the equivalent of a medication head ache,that I should use it for a couple of months,then stop for a couple of months. Specs are bought online,have been for about 15 years now
    After problems with 3 different branches,you can see why I m not impressed