Forum home Problem solving

Hearing aids

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,794
    Maybe we can adapt something like this  👩‍🚀 
    We’ll have to think creatively 🧐 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• B3B3 Posts: 18,677
    the main problem with hearing aids is that you can no longer select what you want to hear. Some can cancel out background noise but that's not the same as tuning in to what you want to hear in a crowd 
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,779
    True @B3. What I find very annoying is the intermittant buzz I get when I'm travelling in a car. I don't know if I'm getting a pulse from somebody's Bluetooth or the aliens are trying to tell me they're coming. There's no rhyme or reason for it. 
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,468
    Perhaps I should go for a tin foil hat as well then!
  • Poly-anthusPoly-anthus Posts: 129
    NannyBeach I'm not saying that all NHS aids are like the ones I was offered a good few years ago.  They had a lot of clear plastic which sat inside the ear and was very visible.  The modern ones are pretty discreet, small bit behind the ear with a very small plastic tube which fits inside the ear connected to the "microphone".  My friends who have them are very pleased with them and they're certainly not obvious to anyone who doesn't know they're there.  If I didn't have my very expensive private ones, I'd be more than happy to have the modern NHS ones.
  • Poly-anthusPoly-anthus Posts: 129
    Should have said, NHS ones are free, and as far as I can remember, the batteries come free as well! 
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,770
    Yes, NHS batteries are free.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 2,968
    My mother, aged 100, is adamant she doesn't need hearing aids as " she can hear perfectly well." She has the TV up so loud that we have to leave the room. We have to repeat everything we say at least once. But she isn't going deaf🤐
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,468
    I just rang my 94 , year old cousin,who has hearing aids and doesn't "need" them it's an absolute nightmare. When I see her,if she doesn't like something you have said,she just conveniently says she can't hear you when you know she actually has!!
  • susan gloversusan glover Posts: 87
    I wear hearing aids from NHS. Everything free like other comments. But agree a pain with covid mask on, when you take it off, gets tangled in the ear loops.