Forum home Problem solving

Hearing aids

• B3B3 Posts: 18,677
    I went through the NHS system. Although I had the same loss in both ears, they only gave me one hearing aid. Having nearly got run over twice because I could hear the car in my left ear and it was coming from the right,I thought bugger that and went private. I don't think I got only one because of a shortage as there was a big cardboard box full of hearing aids by the side of the consulant/ technology's desk.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,779
    You should have been given two hearing aids @B3. I was told when I had my NHS ones fitted that I had to wear both so the brain could compensate and calibrate my hearing accurately. However as I'd already had an ear op 26 years ago and have a metal implant, I find the aid in that ear buzzes so I don't wear that one. (I did tell them!).
     All free, tested and calibrated on a computer these days and very discrete. Yes, there is a tiny battery fitting behind the ear, although that matters less to me as a woman as I can wear my hair slightly longer over my ears. They've upgraded the NHS ones in recent years and I was told mine cost in the region of £500 each.
    IMO not worth paying maybe thousands more for private aids so I would go your GP and ask to be referred for a hearing test.
  • Poly-anthusPoly-anthus Posts: 129
    I would say it's well worth asking your GP to refer you to nhs Audiology.  I think the modern ones are pretty good as I know a few people my age (late 70s) who are happy with them and they're completely free.  You get two now so that the brain can balance things out.   I have been wearing private ones for a few years now as my hearing loss is quite bad, and as the ones offered to me by the NHS (a good few years ago) were horrible and not acceptable for a woman!  I suppose mine are slightly more sophisticated in as much as I have an app on my phone which means that any calls come directly into my ears, etc, but as mine cost an arm and a leg (a once only investment!!) I really think the modern NHS ones are really helpful for most folks.  I just wish my hubby would agree to go for an NHS test so that I can turn the TV down a bit!
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,468
    I definitely don't have an arm and leg,you'd never believe it,I've just watered the garden,got a bright red rash about 6 inches up my legs both sides, looks like a scald,done DRgoogle it only says itchy rashes,nope,doesn't itch,not blisters. So,do I gather then,if you want NHS aids,you have to go to the GP? Why are they not acceptable to a woman? Any chance of a picture of the ones you have
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,355
    My dad has NHS hearing aids and they're quite discreet, transparent plastic, you only notice them when you look carefully. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,795
    We’re not worried about folk seeing that we need glasses are we?  So why do we want to hide hearing aids?  It’s harking back to the time when deafness was thought to be allied to intellectual impairment … whereas historically the only people who needed glasses were those who could read and write so therefore glasses used to indicate the wearer was an intellectual. 

It’s time we stopped being ashamed of letting folk see we are wearing hearing aids … it’s ridiculous.  

It’s not as if they’re the sort you have strapped across your chest like my poor niece had when she was a child. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,468
    Oh,yes, dove I remember them. Got to see the consultant about non healing lesions Tuesday,THEN the dentist. One dog to the vet  Monday,THEN after visiting disabled son, collecting grandkids,shall ring GP thank you folks
    You're right @Dovefromabove. It's ridiculous that needing hearing aids is still regarded as something to be ashamed of. One of the women in the group we met last Sunday actually sunk her voice to a whisper, when I admired her new hairstyle, to admit to having had hearing aids fitted. Although I suppose I also feel slightly touchy about mine as I deliberately don't have my hair cut as short as I used to. Hard habits die hard it seems.

My son had to have them fitted as well (we have a genetic hearing loss condition ), he's only in his forties and we did wonder if it might have any bearing on how prospective employers might regard him.  One would hope not but who knows?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,795
    I dont need them but it looks as if my DS may well have to have an aid for one side following his recent op, and if my hearing starts to deteriorate I won’t hesitate to get an aid. 

I think we should regard getting a hearing aid as a positive and pro-active step  for thinking people,  rather than giving up and consigning ourselves to a lifetime of missing out on so much of life. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

They are a nuisance with sunhat, sunglasses and mask though!