Forum home The potting shed

Leaving hubby in charge for 4 weeks…… oh my poor plants!

JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 656
So my Dad died on Friday night and I am biting the bullet and returning to the UK for at least a month….

I have deadheaded, fed, put drip saucers under the thirstiest plant pots….. what else can I do to avoid the disasters that await my poor plants under the tender “care” of my non plant trained husband?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 70,419
    edited 18 July
    I'm so sorry for your loss @Jacquimcmahon ... our sincere condolences to you and your family.

As for the Under Gardener ... maybe sign him up to this forum, so if he's at all concerned about any plant he can post a photo and we'll help him if he needs it.  :)

Oh, and if I'm going to be away for any length of time during the summer I move anything precious that might succumb to too much sun, into the shadiest part of the garden for the duration. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 1,166
    Good luck with that venture, Jacqui.  I have one of those too! 

The loss of a Dad for a daughter leaves such a gap.  My sincere condolences.  Stay safe in the UK.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 656
    I I have just re staked the tomatoes and cucumbers as they have gone nuts with all the rain we have had in France recently. Moved the most fragile things to the sheltered edges of the terrace and basically give up on the petunias as there is little chance of him having the necessary patience to deadhead every couple of days…. Cut back some lanky daisys that made the place look like an unkempt jungle….. think I’m done as best as I can be.
  • Blue OnionBlue Onion Posts: 2,713
    Cut back flowering plants like your petunias, so they will only be back to flowering again near your return.  Also worth putting a cheap hose over your pots and using a small drill bit to put a few holes in the hose above each pot.. then telling your husband to leave the hose on for 10 minutes every few days if it's sunny.  

Sorry for your loss.  
    Utah, USA.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 70,419
    Yes … Id give the petunias the July equivalent of a Chelsea Chop … by the time you come back they’ll be blooming again. 

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• JacquimcmahonJacquimcmahon Paris FrancePosts: 656
    Ok so I’ll go give the petunias a haircut…… thanks for the idea about the hose, but as everything is in pots… and there are a lot! …… I will trust hubby to water even if I know he will be less than sure to avoid wetting leaves etc. he has already said he plans walking around with the iPad on FaceTime so I can give “real time” instructions 🙊
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,035
    Am sorry for your loss,and very impressed at this difficult time that you are even managing to think straight and give advice on the garden 💗