Forum home The potting shed

What do you do to keep cool and comfortable in the hot weather?

• debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,778
    @JennyJ if your periods have stopped you can take HRT in a way that stops them coming back. 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,185
    Maybe contraception pills can stop bleeding. @JennyJ
    I know women who have used the pill like that to manage endometriosis nightmares.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,960
    @Jenny, I didn't have periods when on HRT. I bled when using the gel so Doc changed it to tablets and all arthritic aches stopped for a good 10 years.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 3,785
    I've always used the pill top stop bleeds, decided to come off the pill when I started getting flushes.  This was 3 years ago,  think I took the pill so long the monthly pain in the bum didn't return.  Haven't tried anything yet other than toughing it out!
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,185
    Some say that certain SSRIs can be very helpful with menopause symtoms. 30% of SSRI use is off-label (ie, not prescribed for anything to do with depression). That is partly why UK prescription levels of them is so high. They can act to moderate blood flow and as a muscle relaxant in some circs. 

• I hope young women will be more informed than my generation.i knew nothing about menopause other than hot flushes and no one talked about it other than the change..then everyone said you will get breast cancer if you take it which is wrong and put so many women off taking it.if men went thru it it would be talked about,you'd have treatment then we'd look for a cure.how many women have left good careers because of it?my sister did.sorry for the rant but finding the gel working after such misery has been a miracle cure for me.perhaps not for every woman for sure. but we must get and demand help.we are 51% of the population!!
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,792
    At first I was on the ,"breakthrough bleed" type of HRT my hormone levels weren't too low,my GP said you can still get pregnant up to ,50, everyone I worked with who wasn't going through it, said they would not take HRT what they did not know was I was also on the contraceptive pill as well till I was 50,(unable to use other methods,) osteoporosis and hip fractures are a killer of women over 50,
  • WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 3,785
    I totally agree,  I'm afraid I despair sometimes at the inequality of our modern world.  We got the right to go out to work,  to get paid less,  respected less,  objectified, then have to come home and do all the housework cooking and shopping!! It's so imbalanced it's a joke. Then to have disturbed sleep and mood imbalance due to menopause on top of all that! Anything to get the conversation going about the subject is a good thing!
  • Sleep under the stars in the garden. 
  • ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 774
    anyone have a Dyson fan?!I'm thinking of getting one.every year we have a heatwave 
    We have a Dyson fan, bought it last summer. The smaller table top size with the circular ‘fan’, an eye-watering £300! However, it’s been terrific, mainly as it is so quiet that we can have it on all night without being woken by the racket. We’ve got through loads of the cheap ones over the years, so we took the plunge and splashed out. It’s been well worth it. Mind you, it’s been a struggle to keep cool this last couple of nights, even with the Dyson. Hubby has been looking up portable air conditioners!