Forum home The potting shed

What do you do to keep cool and comfortable in the hot weather?

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 7,965
    I don't know why any woman going through the menopause would refuse to take HRT, it's a no-brainer. Yes, there's a very slight increased chance of breast cancer but so what, you'll be monitored and treated if you're one of the unlucky ones. I've been using a small dose for a non-menopausal condition for about four years with no side effects. I have regular bone scans for osteoporosis.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,185
    Having had breast cancer, I wouldn't be keen. My mum had HRT and also had breast cancer.
    Sorry to hear that @Fire, hope you've recovered now. I think the dosage to HRT is much lower these days and they do know a lot more about genetic connections.
    Yes, I get the impression we are worlds away form the HRT regimes of thirty years ago. - - During chemo I had a semi-menopause for a few years. I am forever thankful that it stopped when the treatments stopped. It was like being granted a new lease of life on many levels, not least freedom from roasting.
    I agree.  Thankfully, I was one of the lucky ones and didn't suffer too much from menopausal symptoms.
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,563
    Lizzie27 said:
    I don't know why any woman going through the menopause would refuse to take HRT, it's a no-brainer. Yes, there's a very slight increased chance of breast cancer but so what, you'll be monitored and treated if you're one of the unlucky ones. I've been using a small dose for a non-menopausal condition for about four years with no side effects. I have regular bone scans for osteoporosis.

My wife tried HRT and felt absolutely awful all the time she was taking it.  Went back to the GP practice, saw a different doctor who said if it was making her feel bad stop taking it.  Fortunately she didn't suffer badly from hot sweats etc, although she is now, as am I. :)
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,375
    edited 21 July
    Lizzie27 said:

I have a brain, and I used it to follow the advice that avoiding HRT would be sensible due to my genetic heightened stroke risk.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 3,785
    I've not heard of the gel but I'm going to ask doctor about it if I'm ever allowed to see the again but the power cooling mats really do make a difference for me,  I hope they help anyone going through the flushes as it's so draining!
    I wouldn't call it a 'no brainer'. I would call it an option to carefully consider carefully.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,626
    It's only been a few months for me so far, so I haven't got around to trying to get a GP appointment to talk about HRT. I don't think I have any particular risk factors so they should let me try it if I want to. Thing is, I could do without monthly bleeds (sorry if that's TMI) which if I understand rightly, you have to have if you haven't had a hysterectomy. But maybe I've got that wrong. I'll be giving it some thought though. In the meantime, I'll be giving the cooling mats a try - delivery due soon!