Forum home The potting shed

What do you do to keep cool and comfortable in the hot weather?

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,253
    Anyone tried the bowl of ice in front of the fan? Wondered if it works?

I took a spray bottle of cold water to work today - total life-saver! 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,414
    Got hot flushes due to age here also so I'm an expert at this!!

All windows and blinds shut in the day And open at night.  Garden hand mister in the house.  I sleep on two of those pet cooling mats,  one under my head one over my body.  If working in the garden I take my t shirt off and run it under a cold tap,  wring it out and put it back on again. Drink lots of water 💧
    What a fantastic idea! as a non-dog-owner I didn't know such things existed. I've ordered a couple. I have the same age-related hot flushes (and I'm told they can go on for years  :( so the cooling mats might be a good investment).

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,529
    Jenny,shall I cheer you up,I went through the menopause at 42,was fine with that,(incredibly heavy, agonising periods since age 11) overnight memory loss,every joint ached,thin head hair, overdrive of it everywhere else. Determined not to have HRT,GP said with my age,height,build,and a fracture,I needed it for the osteoporosis protection. 17 years no problems,moved,new GP refused to prescribe it.Looked into the private route, meant going to London regularly,blood tests, difficult when working full time nights. I knew I wouldn't be able to afford the drugs after retirement. So it was cold turkey.i have now had 10 years of hit flushes/night sweats. Friends who have had neither,have no idea,the hot flushes can make you feel incredibly I'll,sick,dizzy. Only option is heavy duty antidepressants,with their side effects
  • anyone have a Dyson fan?!I'm thinking of getting one.every year we have a heatwave and the fans we get are not brilliant.as an aside to this: menopause:get the gel!!!!!changed my life.thought I was dying of bone cancer.i know pains from gardening but this was awful.in tears with it.the gel worked overnight!!!
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,723
    anyone have a Dyson fan?!I'm thinking of getting 
    If you just want air movement, try something like a meaco fan instead. Fraction of the cost. Dyson charge a premium for the label (on everything they sell). I am fairly sure their sales pitch about 'cooling' is reliant purely on the air movement - there's no actual cooling in them as far as I can see. For that, you'd need a portable air conditioner (which you can buy for about the same price as a Dyson fan)
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,414
    Jenny,shall I cheer you up,I went through the menopause at 42,was fine with that,(incredibly heavy, agonising periods since age 11) overnight memory loss,every joint ached,thin head hair, overdrive of it everywhere else. Determined not to have HRT,GP said with my age,height,build,and a fracture,I needed it for the osteoporosis protection. 17 years no problems,moved,new GP refused to prescribe it.Looked into the private route, meant going to London regularly,blood tests, difficult when working full time nights. I knew I wouldn't be able to afford the drugs after retirement. So it was cold turkey.i have now had 10 years of hit flushes/night sweats. Friends who have had neither,have no idea,the hot flushes can make you feel incredibly I'll,sick,dizzy. Only option is heavy duty antidepressants,with their side effects

Oh great! :'(. Never mind, my Mum said hers "only" lasted about 5 years. Wait and see I guess. I had a bone density scan about 4 years ago (because the GP practice nurse's computer said so when I went for a routine arthritis checkup, achy joints is the norm for me, I probably wouldn't notice if the hormonal stuff added to it) and I suspect my build is a bit heavier than yours :D so I think I'm fine on that score. Also I'm 54 so a bit of a late starter. Oh well, it's somehow not so bad in this weather when (almost) everyone feels too hot.

• the gel was a game changer for me.it even cured my bad back which makes me think I was misdiagnosed and it was the menopause and oestrogen leaking out of my bones.its so worth a try.
  • debs64debs64 West Midlands, on the edge of the Black Country Posts: 3,728
    edited 21 July
    Would definitely recommend HRT but you need to insist! My doctor( young girl) tried to give me antidepressants but that’s a definite no from me. Stick to your guns! 
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,916
    the gel was a game changer for me.it even cured my bad back which makes me think I was misdiagnosed and it was the menopause and oestrogen leaking out of my bones.its so worth a try.

Sorry - which gel @the tidy gardener ?
  • oestrogen gel !