Forum home The potting shed

What do you do to keep cool and comfortable in the hot weather?

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,789
    I'm OK up to 30°. The last 2 days we have been visiting gardens. I hate it when it's 35° when I'm in my house in SW France. At the moment I'm in OH's house in Norfolk. Weather is lovely, I'm in a cotton summer dress. In France when it's very hot I have a huge cotton T shirt which I dip in cold water and wring it out, wear it damp. But my French house has very thick stone walls downstairs which keep it cool. Upstairs the bedrooms are under the slope of the roof which is hotter, although insulated. I shut the shutters in the day and open them at night.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 3,701
    Got hot flushes due to age here also so I'm an expert at this!!

All windows and blinds shut in the day And open at night.  Garden hand mister in the house.  I sleep on two of those pet cooling mats,  one under my head one over my body.  If working in the garden I take my t shirt off and run it under a cold tap,  wring it out and put it back on again. Drink lots of water 💧
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,904
    tbh, I don't find very hot or very cold weather, or indeed any weather a problem, apart from the close, low, muggy days, esp when it's hot. If the sun is blazing and the skies are all clear I just try to lie still in front of a fan. But 30oC and close - which we have in London now - I find so hard. I get cracking headaches and my eyes feel puffed out. There's nothing you can do - you just have to wait until the skies clear. The last week has been pretty clear in London but we look to move into a few weeks of heavy cloud. I feel like I'm suffocating. Bleurrgh
  • NorthernJoeNorthernJoe Posts: 549
    My solution is to sweat profusely to manage my body temperature. Anything else seems like too much hard work in this heat. You'll find me flat out on the sofa until about 9 or 10 at night. I have phone and tablet so I'm OK with that. Plus I get entertained by my son playing minecraft.

During the week I'm in the office and with the heating off (seriously,  it was off last week but today we came in to heating on) it's bearable. Not so on my 21 minute journey plus 5 minutes waiting for  it to go. That's nasty hot! I'm often standing with my brompton with way too many other people for social distancing and always a few refusing to wear masks and a lot of ignorant shoots wearing masks with a free nose or in beard guard mode (that's men and women be!!!).

After my train commute and a minute cycle home my polo shirt is wringing wet and I take at least half hour to cool down. 

We moved from a 1900 built mid terraced house made out of half brick,  half solid stone blocks. With the A-10 energy efficiency windows it was always cool in summer. Now we're in a 1972 built house with huge windows including in the living/ dining room which has morning sun in the front then afternoon sun at the back. In fact there's sun coming on almost all hours of daylight. It's a bungalow above a garage. Good insulation and very hot. It gets hot and there's never any way you get enough ventilation to cool it down. Small opening window at the front and two of the same size out back. We leave front and rear doors open with Internal doors jammed open but that barely helps.

We're thinking new windows with larger openings. Shut blinds and curtains (each window has both) don't seem to help much.

One possible option is sit in the upper, wildlife garden at the top of the slope.. high up means better airflow from morecambe Bay. Plenty of tree cover which seems to help. The moors of Spain had the right idea with water fountains and lots of trees. 
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,519
    Well,I'm shocked, knickers off,(you haven't seen mine,they wouldn't make you hot!) Never know if Hosta is joking!  Having had skin cancer, actually seeing a consultant on the 27th,dodgy non healing ", thing",bang in the middle of my nose,its factor50, hats,shade, cover up (did I mention the fake tan!)
  • AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,253
    It was absolutely grim in the hospital today. I’m so glad I took my flask of ice and a change of socks. I’m going to be exhausted by Friday. The house is warm but delicious compared to work. 
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,401
    Seriously considering going into the office this week for the air conditioning! But my boss is still saying work at home if possible, and they want to maintain social distancing in the office. I'll see how well I can concentrate at home tomorrow and then we'll see. The advantage of working at home is that I can switch off the camera for meetings and wear not much (which is a loose hippyish tie dye sleeveless dress at the moment :D).
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
    I’ve spent the afternoon sitting in the cellar. The view isn’t up to much but it’s a constant 19°C. Perfect.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,519
    Pansy,you got wine in there?
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
    OH has a couple of bottles. I don’t drink. The house used to be a primitive sort of brewery/pub 150 years ago.
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.