Forum home The potting shed

What do you do to keep cool and comfortable in the hot weather?

• AuntyRachAuntyRach Posts: 4,253
    edited 18 July
    Really enjoying your advice and comments. 

Thankfully my lounge is the coolest room in the house (after the downstairs loo). It also doubles as the coldest room in the house (after the downstairs loo) come Winter, so swings and roundabouts. Must be a Welsh thing @wild edges

Fresh undies post shower is always a delight @Gearóid" - I take a change of socks for midway through work (must remember tomorrow). 

Defo doing the icy ‘hot’ water bottle thing 👍🏼
    My garden and I live in South Wales. 
  • Balgay.HillBalgay.Hill Posts: 223
    I sit in full sun in t-shirt and shorts all afternoon with a steady supply of cold beer.  :)
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne and Wear Green Belt Posts: 813
    Are you ginger though @Balgay.Hill? 🦞
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 18,626
    Sleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep.

I just woke up long enough to say..............
    Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,519
    Dogs get taken out early, before 8 today.  Often will take them to woodlands,nice and shadey.Bungalow,so no heat ", upstairs". front faces south,back north. Windows, curtains,blinds open in the day. Plenty of shade in the garden. We are 1O minutes from the sea,and usually there's a breeze here,there was no breeze on the beach today. I have big problems at night,both still getting post Meno flushes,and the antihypertensive meds cause flushes,so double whammy. Last year we bought a decent air cooler,and a proper portable air conditioner unit,which actually removes hot air from the room as well. No bra,no way,(look away chaps) size 10 but double D,I get very sore this weather!!
  • CharlotteFCharlotteF Posts: 76
    We had booked to go to Wisley this morning. It was nice in the shade eating ice creams, but way too hot to be wandering around dragging reluctant kids in tow to admire plants. Luckily not too far away as it was a short trip!

As soon as we got home I ran a shallow tepid bath and had a lay down in it for 20mins or so. I've left the water in so I can dip in and out as needed. It's blissful.

I also impulse-bought a cooling mat for dogs when I was queueing to buy cat food a couple of years ago. We don't have a dog. It is much fought over by the humans.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 29,104
    It was only 29C today so I had a lovely couple of hours naked on the lounger after I got home
    Devon.
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,519
    Showing 44c in our north facing conservatory,34.4 outside
  • YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 6,451
    I leave our bedroom and sitting room curtains closed all morning while we sit in the west facing conservatory.  Any gardening in the back garden gets done a.m.  The sitting room is cool p.m.  If I get too hot I can stay in the hall (it's got an old red and black tiled floor) as it's always cold in the summer.  We have a portable air con unit for the bedroom and a fan for the sitting room.  I usually drink lots of tea and water.  Any jobs that need doing in the front garden wait until late afternoon.  No Housework (no change there then). Oh and I swap my jeans for floaty skirts and insect repellant.
    Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • REMF33REMF33 Posts: 349
    I never open my bedroom curtains ever. Is that weird? For me shorts and a strappy top (if my armpits are covered and I sweat I get an allergic reaction - sorry if that's tmi), and I have fans including a very quiet desk fan which is quiet enough to have on in the night if I want. Bedroom window is open, makeshift mosquito net velcroed to the frame. 
    I am glad I am working from home, though, tomorrow. (Well, glad full stop really, but that's another matter.) The train I used to use had no air con and I can't wear shorts to work and I feel a little self conscious in strappy tops. Air con at work goes on as a last resort, there, as certain people 'don't like it'.
    I have to say that I am not suffering so far. 31-32 degrees in the shade here today. (Goodness knows what it was full sun. Upper 30s?) The house is still cool, but it will heat up as the week goes by.
    It's all a good excuse to make and consume gazpacho, iced tea, lemonade and iced coffee :)
    It took a long time to water all my pots, and the veg, though. Not had to water the flower beds yet apart from the sunflowers and tithonia