Forum home The potting shed

What do you do to keep cool and comfortable in the hot weather?

• wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,542
    The ground floor of my house is always nice and cool so I'm hiding in my office and catching up on some work. The only windows face north and suck in cold air from the shady void between the house and the retaining wall. Sadly the same is true in winter when it's always a few degrees too cold down here.
    Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,723
    Try to get 'cross ventilation' working in the house, windows open upstairs and down and both on the sunny side and the shady side to encourage air to move, even without a fan.
    Spray water into the air if you get really hot - one reason a cool shower works well - it cools you and it cools the air.
    Water the floor in the greenhouse
    Stay inside and wear cotton and linen clothes.
    Failing that sit under a large tree - they create cool micro-climates for themselves

For us here, dog walking before 8am or after 9pm. 
    Dog beds in the shade and in the garage (coolest place in the house) and the office (next coolest during the day).
    Mint or lemon verbena tea for me, ice cubes in the water bowl for them. 
    Listen to soothing music, read a book or visit GW forum between 11 and 4. Light gardening outside those times. Maybe.

“There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne and Wear Green Belt Posts: 819
    Blinds and curtains closed front of house (south facing); windows and french doors open enough to create flow at back of house (lovely today as we have a breeze). Fans circulating air around. One in living room; one in master bedroom and one on landing. 

Tiny shorts and a t shirt and bare feet. 

Tea. Lots of tea. Water. Lots of water. No alcohol (easy for me as I don’t drink). 

If I go out I stick to as much shade as possible and slow down a lot (and change the tiny shorts for more suitable ones). Move like you’re on holiday in Greece not like you’re on supermarket sweep. 

Relax. Getting stressed about getting hot makes you feel worse. 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,250
    Draw the curtains, switch the fan on, have a cool drink to hand and watch the cricket. Sorted.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,916
    Don't move at all, where possible.
  • get a hot water bottle fill it with water put in freezer.try and remember before u go to bed to take it with u and lie on it.i used to live in Florida where it's humid and awful.when I came home it was because I missed the seasons.! can't stand hot weather now I'm a certain age!!
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 10,916
    Yes, frozen hot water bottles are an excellent way to go. v effective,
  • DitsyDitsy LondonPosts: 167
    Me and my dogs were out at 5.45 this morning - such a lovely time of day. I was almost chilly in the woods. Finished off with the dogs swimming in the stream.

Now sitting in the dark, boiling hot, wishing the day away. 

The best top tip I can give that hasn't already been given is don't eat soup  :D

Oh and make sure there is plenty of water bowls out for wildlife.
  • mikeymustardmikeymustard Posts: 328
    It's not been helped by me having the oven on all afternoon cooking a brisket, Texican style - wot a numpty!
  • ErgatesErgates Devon, east of ExeterPosts: 617
    AuntyRach said:
    Great posts folks 😎

I am now adding:

No bra.

That’s easy, bra been redundant since beginning of lockdown, apart from the trips out to Waitrose. Don’t want to put the other customers off their shopping!