Forum home The potting shed

What do you do to keep cool and comfortable in the hot weather?

14567810»

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,401
    debs64 said:
    @JennyJ if your periods have stopped you can take HRT in a way that stops them coming back. 

Sorry, I wasn't very clear was I? Not fully stopped yet :(. It's been a couple of months now but erratic off-and-on for a year or so before that. As I understand it, you have to be a year without bleeding to be "officially" post-menopause and get the non-bleeding type of HRT. GP appointments are rare as rocking-horse poo around here at the moment so I don't feel I can really ask for one just now, so it's a waiting game to see what my unruly hormones do next.
    Meanwhile, the cooling pads arrived, worked a treat and I only woke up hot once last night :)
    Sleep under the stars in the garden. 

I would wake up covered in insect bites. They seem to like me unless I'm coated liberally with DEET spray.
    Fire said:
    Maybe contraception pills can stop bleeding. @JennyJ
    I know women who have used the pill like that to manage endometriosis nightmares.

Hmm. I took them until I was over 50 but the GP said I had to stop then. Will do some research for when I can get a GP appointment without feeling like I'm taking up time that they should be spending with people who're seriously ill (menopause is normal after all, however uncomfortable it might be).
    Another concern is that if I go back on hormones (whether that's contraceptives or HRT), it's maybe just putting it off (as in @Nanny Beach 's post above. Surely I couldn't take them for the rest of my life? Could easily be another 30 or 40 years.
  • NewBoy2NewBoy2 BristolPosts: 1,793
    Wake up and have breakfast.
    Think I will just read this Philip K Dick book for a few..........ZZZZZZZZZZZZ.
    Ah lunch time 

4.00pm go to allotment and water plot and then home for a cup of tea

9.00pm and to bed early.

I am usually very active but this extreme heat has won .
    Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.