Forum home Plants

Succulent and alpine rock garden

Hi everyone

I'm about to create a rock garden,.got some alpines and have succulents also.

However on doing further research I'm realising that this is possibly the wrong time of year to be doing this?   Although some youtube  videos showed rockeries being constructed in July? I'm a tad confused 🙄😜

Any thoughts on this or advice, don't want my plants to be wasted.

Thanks 

Carol

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 3,699
    You can construct a Rockery at any time of year - the basic structure that is  ;)

If you have your rocks and have prepared planting pockets for the plants you have chosen, why not place your plants ( still in their pots ) to see if you like the look of the design.
    Make a little chart and then grow your plants on, re potting if necessary, until the hot dry weather is over when you feel you can safely plant them out.
    Middle of summer is not ideal for planting anything out really - particularly given the forecast so delay is advised.  It will also give you the opportunity to change the position of your chosen plants if necessary.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,891
    There is no specific time for creating any part of your garden. You do it when it suits, and when conditions are good for digging and planting That often rules out winter, especially in cold wet/frozen areas, and if you have clay soil, it's difficult in dry spells as it can become solid, but there's nothing to stop you prepping the area just now if the soil isn't like that. 
    I wouldn't worry too much about planting either. If everything is well watered, it'll be fine, and even those which like sharp drainage need well watered until established. Getting the soil in the right condition is the main thing to aim for  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • KeenOnGreenKeenOnGreen Posts: 1,831
    On your marks, get set, go!  Are you thinking of including in the succulents in the rock garden, or as separate plants (in pots for example)?
  • @philippasmith2
    @Fairygirl

Thanks for replies, definitely food for thought.

@KeenOnGreen
    Sorry .... I guess I'm a bit slow off the mark lol ..

Here goes .... I am planning to lay out bits of large smashed up paving stone, large pebbles, horticultural grit mixed with compost layered on top then try and arrange the plants in an arrangement.
    Here are some photos...
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,891
    The only thing I'd say is, it won't really be a rockery then. It will just be a border with some rocks and gravel, with low growing plants.  :)
    Rockeries need rock laid on a slope in rough lines, with about two thirds of the rock submerged [ and with the rocks sloping back into the ground and slightly downwards to allow excess water to drain back into the ground and away from plants] to create a tiered effect and imitate the natural sort of way it would happen. The plants are then in small pockets in between the rocks. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • Hi peeps I'm back.  

Thanks again for all your advice.  Unfortunately for one reason and another I haven't yet managed to start my small rockery so now wondering if I'm too late to so.  

Any thoughts.

Thanks again