Forum home The potting shed

The Floods in Germany and beyond ... a first hand account

• philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 841
    Also need to consider what the Rules and Regs are in "Conservation Areas".  Some Councils are more forward thinking than others and there doesn't seem to be a Policy which fits all.
    In one area near to me ( West Somerset ) all the new builds included Solar panels where appropriate.  The fact that they were built on a flood plain rather mitigated the advantage  ;) Plenty of Solar Panel farms evident from Somerset to Cornwall.
    Bit like the whole Climate problem, unless we used Joined Up thinking, one will do something, another will do nothing and the poor buggers in the worst affected areas are left to just sit and starve/fry or drown - take your pick.
    Chatting to a neighbour today, I was assured that the UK had an ideal climate so what's the worry ?  
  • raisingirlraisingirl East Devon, on the Edge of Exmoor.Posts: 4,694
    steveTu said:
    Why isn't every suitable new house having solar panels fitted? Tesla's (other brands may be available) solar tiles look interesting - it'll be grand when they (or similar) become commercially viable and part of a standard install.

Generally, if it's being built by a volume house builder, it's because regulations don't require it. Yes, they should require it. But the world of Building Regulations moves much slower than a melting glacier. The 2021 update to the regulations (coming in 2022, maybe) will require solar panels but will still permit gas boilers. The 2025 update will prohibit gas boilers but won't require solar panels - at least as currently drafted.

In the meantime, solar panels are becoming cheaper and better all the time. If you have a roof that faces the right way (not between northwest and northeast) and as long as you aren't overshadowed by a tower block or big trees, you should look into having them added. For most houses they are permitted development so you don't need planning permission unless you're in a conservation area or live in a listed building
    “There is no military solution
    Doesn't always end up as something worse”
  • borgadrborgadr KentPosts: 143
    Problem is, Germany used to source almost a third of its electicity from nuclear power, but after Fukushima they reacted by immediately shutting down a large proportion of their nuclear plants and initiating a phase out of all the rest. Most of this was replaced by....  wait for it...  coal powered electricity!!  Which meant they had to accelerate massively renewables like wind turbines.
  • wild edgeswild edges The north west of south east WalesPosts: 6,520

For most houses they are permitted development so you don't need planning permission unless you're in a conservation area or live in a listed building
    Or you had your permitted development rights removed as a planning condition like with my house :( 
    Welsh regs have always been a bit more progressive than in England and yet we're still struggling to get green tech into housing. It didn't help that the introduction of mandatory fire sprinkler systems in new houses sucked up all the spare cash in the budgets that could have been used for solar panels. The new SUDs regs have made this even worse by adding costs to deal with more complicated rain water management (including all the application fees and professional fees to design the systems etc). Green tech is getting pushed further and further back in the priority list while relying on insulation and air tightness to pick up the slack. This would be fine but most builders don't keep up with the training and workmanship required to fit the stuff properly. I still don't understand why builders don't have mandatory qualifications and CPD before they're allowed to set foot on a site.

Unlike the brain, the stomach warns you when it's empty.
  • SuesynSuesyn South Somerset Posts: 445
    My eldest son lives in Australia and surprisingly it seems that only the state of Victoria requires new houses to have solar panels. In fact I think it is a fairly recent requirement to have insulation in the roof and walls, about 10 years ago the Queensland government had a programme to fit insulation in existing roof spaces for free. We were staying with Jon at the time and all it needed was a phone call to an approved supplier, they came the following day, did the work, we signed the paperwork (Jon was at work) and that was it. You didn't have to be the home owner so renters could also apply and there was no messing about proving "eligibility" for the scheme. 
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,449
    We did get 3 quotes for solar panels, and they are out of our price bracket.
  • We did get 3 quotes for solar panels, and they are out of our price bracket.
    Yes, they are very expensive, but long term they pay themselves off.
    I have a very large PV on our East West roof. Over its 20yr lifespan it will return a (small) positive return, despite 1) East West being less good than South, and 2) the system being very large at 9kWp: from a purely financial point of view the best kWp size of a PV system should match the yearly kWh consumption, which for most household is 2500-4000 kWh.

• alberto.defanisalberto.defanis Posts: 83
    edited 20 July
    borgadr said:
    Problem is, Germany used to source almost a third of its electicity from nuclear power, but after Fukushima they reacted by immediately shutting down a large proportion of their nuclear plants and initiating a phase out of all the rest. Most of this was replaced by....  wait for it...  coal powered electricity!!  Which meant they had to accelerate massively renewables like wind turbines.
    This is a way to look at it.
    I'd say rather the problem is we simply consume too much electricity (and of everything else). We could still live extremely comfortably consuming a fraction of it.

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 6,449
    What's a PV? You say we consume too much electricity yet,if people have got to stop using gas,oil,log burners open fires,there's not much left,can't have a windmill in the garden. The quotes for solar panels were around 7k,that was some years ago, couldn't afford that then,never mind now
  • nick615nick615 SW IrelandPosts: 810

Nanny Beach  I think 'PV' is a 'Photo Voltaic' cell, or some such, i.e. posh for solar panel.

If Global Warming is as severe as they say it is, we all have to accept that it's caused by people using energy of one sort or another to support their daily existence.  With a net increase in world population of 50,000 per day every day, I'd suggest anything we do today will be nullified by this time tomorrow?  But, is it global?  With 90% of the world's population living north of the equator, is that a factor for us here?  Is there a benefit in offshore wind farms, if they can act as nursery areas for fish species that the trawlers won't be able to reach?  Fear concentrates the minds of the people, and keeps them in order.