Forum home Wildlife gardening

Planting wild flowers

We have a holiday home on a cliff top and just beyond the boundary before the cliff falls away, it is covered in long grass and a variety of other wild plants, most not particularly interesting - thistles, ragwort etc. I would like to try increasing the diversity by tossing in some seed either that I've collected myself or a wild flower mix that you can get from a garden shop. Can I just chuck it into the long grass and hope some will eventually make its way down and germinate, or do I need to be more intentional? The cliff falls away quite steeply quite fast so would much prefer the former method! Thanks for any thoughts!

• B3B3 Posts: 18,677
    I don't think you're supposed to do that.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Sorry, do what?

• Chris-P-BaconChris-P-Bacon Posts: 417
    edited 16 July
    If it's beyond your boundary it isn't your land. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,776
    edited 16 July
    You might not find thistles and ragwort particularly interesting, but they’re an important good source to many types of birds and insects. 

Scattering random seeds, some of which may not even be native or suitable for the area, could wreck the ecology of the area.  

It’s not a ‘garden’ … it’s a wild area … wild areas are important because they are ‘wild’ and not interfered with. 

And anyway … it will belong to someone … everywhere does. 
    😊 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Just for clarification, the plants I'm thinking of grow on the cliff anyway, just not where we are. I would certainly check with the council before doing anything and it is a very small area. I was thinking biodiversity, not introducing non-local species to make a garden.
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 796
    I understand your desire to enhance the biodiversity but the current plants on the cliff are probably playing an important role in preventing cliff erosion. If, for example, you added yellow rattle, it could enjoy the spot just too much, over colonise and weaken the grass roots.

Would it be possible to plant things in your garden that frame the view and mimic the planting beyond? Yellow daisies to mirror the ragwort, eryngiums to pick up the blue in the thistles?