Forum home Fruit & veg

My tomatoes fruits are black

AJ87AJ87 Posts: 9
Hi all,
so I’m not great at labelling plants so I’m not fully sure what they were meant to be 😂 but I think these were seeds I saved from some fruit from a local grower. Either an orange cherry tomato or larger stripped green/reddish one. Anyway the fruits have started black/green and do t seem tobe changing colour. Do you think they will. They are still very firm. Is it worth trying one.
they are definitely tomato plants not potato plant fruits.
have attached an image. Thanks for your help

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,076
    How interesting.
    If the seeds you saved were from a hybrid (an F1 variety and the result of a cross between 2 different plants) then the seed from the tomatoes those plants produce will have a different mix of genes to the parent plants and may throw up unusual results - like yours.
    If it's still hard it probably won't be very nice anyway, so I''d leave it for a while and see how it ripens when it feels softer.
    You'll have to think of a name for it too :)
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • rachelQrtJHBjbrachelQrtJHBjb South BucksPosts: 808
    Your photo looks a lot like a variety called 'Black Cherry'. I imagine the fruit will stay dark but soften to the touch as it ripens. There are plenty of dark or black tomatoes so the grower probably had some in his plot and (as @Pete.8 says) it's cross pollination.
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 2,161
    Hi :  @AJ87      I have some that look like that.  They are called Ossu Blue.  They have a little green patch on the underneath and they are very firm and obviously not yet ripe.    As @rachelQrtJHBjb says, there are many dark and black tomatoes available now.  I also have Cherry Black - they look alike.  Patience.  Mine are rock hard still.
    A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 6,629
    I've got some this year that are supposed to ripen blue/black but they're still green at the moment. Indigo Blue or something like that. Came as seedlings from Aldi, 4 for a pound or so. Worth a try, and if we find them unappetizing I won't grow them again.
  • tui34tui34 Béziers, Herault, FrancePosts: 2,161

Hi: @AJ87

I found this article interesting.   I hope it helps.  
     I have just found some my Osu Blue tomatoes with red bottoms!

Purple tomato debuts as ‘Indigo Rose’

CORVALLIS, Ore. – The "Indigo Rose" tomato steps out this year as the first "really" purple variety to come from a programme at Oregon State University (OSU) that is seeking to breed tomatoes with high levels of antioxidants.

The new variety is a novelty type intended for home gardens and the fresh market.

Indigo Rose's genesis began in the 1960s, when two breeders – one from Bulgaria and the other from the United States – first crossed-cultivated tomatoes with wild species from Chile and the Galapagos Islands.  Anthocyanins are in the class of flavonoids – compounds found in fruits, vegetables and beverages – that have aroused interest because of their potential health benefits.  

Do not to pick the tomato too soon. Indigo Rose must be allowed to ripen fully for complete development of sugars and acids. It's easy to harvest too early because the usual visual clues won't be there.

The tomatoes will be purple where exposed to light, and they tend to have a purple crown. They are ripe when their color changes from a shiny blue-purple to a dull purple-brown. The fruit also softens similarly to regular tomatoes, and the bottom of the tomatoes will turn from green to red when ripe.

If you want a really, really purple tomato that can be as black as an eggplant, give Indigo Rose a try.  Other so-called purple and black tomatoes have the green flesh gene, which prevents normal chlorophyll breakdown. A brown pigment called pheophytin accumulates and has a brownish colour that makes a muddy purple when combined with carotenoids.

A good hoeing is worth two waterings.

• AJ87AJ87 Posts: 9
    Thanks all, Pete I think you are right.
    at the moment I think it’s name will be tomato “for the bin” 😂 but let’s see