Forum home Wildlife gardening

Flower identification needed

Hi, massive thank you in advance to anyone who can help. Have planted a load of wild flower seeds and absolutely tons of this plant have sprung up. The bees seem to love it so was looking to grow more. Have no idea what it is.

Flower head is very small (cornflower size) and the leaves are fairly tough and hairy. One of very few plants left untouched by the slugs and snails. Incredibly grateful if anyone is able to she'd any light. Have been searching google for ages but when I find a similar flower, the leaves don't match. 

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,229
    Possibly a type of calendula? 
  • B3B3 Posts: 18,677
    Calendula. Sometimes the flowers are a bit small.
    In London. Keen but lazy.
  • Ahh you are both absolute stars !!! Thank you so very very much. No idea how Ive ended up with so much but the bees are fighting over it so am going to try to make way for some more. Thank you again for all your time and help I'm so grateful  :)
  • Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 2,965
    They are marigolds ( calendula officinalis)  @lynettemjones40. We have lots of different varieties in the garden and different colours....orange, yellow, pale orange, deep orange. They're lovely gap fillers and the slugs do tend to leave them alone.....in our garden at least.
  • Thank you for your help songbird. I've not grown these before and yes, the slugs/snails haven't touched mine either. I had been planting wild patches & this wasn't supposed to be in the mix but am so pleased it is. Only one bud has opened up so far & the bees are fighting over it. Will absolutely be buying more of these from now on. Love them. 
  • Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 463
    You probably won't need to buy more as they usually self seed!
  • Loraine3 said:
    You probably won't need to buy more as they usually self seed!

Thank you for letting me know Loraine. That's great to hear. 
  • AsarumAsarum East AngliaPosts: 529
    They are not wild flowers though! 
    East Anglia