Forum home Fruit & veg

How many chillies on an individual plant.

124»

• BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,778
    Pete.8 said:
    I wouldn't.
    You may find some of them drop off by themselves if the plant knows it has too many.
    Pick the red ones when they're ripe and it'll carry on producing.
    Well you were right @Pete.8

The plant knew best - only 15 of the original 30 made it to maturity (but not redness!). Slim pickings for an entire crop, as I've got only one chilli from the other 8 plants :D but I've got a handful in the freezer and a few left on the plant which we'll use first.

Success? Failure? Somewhere in the middle I reckon ;)
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,873
    We've all learned lots from experience over the years @Biglad
    I start my chilies (and peppers) off in late feb and have been harvesting since August this year. There are still a few left - mostly green Jalapenos.
    Every year I make a note to grow fewer plants as I don't use all the chilies I've frozen, but every year I do.. I feel bad not using all the seedlings that have worked hard to germinate, and once they're alive I can't bring myself to put the babies on the compost  :)

Had a great harvest from my long, thin peppers too - when properly ripe the taste is way beyond anything I've ever bought in a supermarket. I've still got 4 that are almost ripe.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • LG_LG_ SE LondonPosts: 4,050
    I show 6 seeds and aim for 5 or 6 plants, as it's only a box room windowsill. Last year I didn't grow any as I thought we still had plenty from the year before... but we didn't, and it really galls me to buy chillies when I can get a year's supply with so little effort. I won't miss a year again!
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • EustaceEustace OxfordPosts: 1,412
    edited September 2021
    Slim pickings for an entire crop, as I've got only one chilli from the other 8 plants :D 
    @Biglad if you can move the plants inside to a warm windowsill, they might still produce chillies.
    This variety has produced the most chillies for me this year. Short plants and early to start fruiting too.

Well I've got 4 left on the plant in the dining room and they've finally decided that green doesn't suit them! :D 

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,873
    At last - Hooray!! 😁
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    Glad I left a few on just to see if.... :D 

I'll make a note of the date and carry that knowledge forward to 2022!
  • Pick and stick them in your AC @Biglad - they'll be fully ripened before you know it :)