Forum home Fruit & veg

How many chillies on an individual plant.

• BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,760
    I've just done a taste test with my eldest - they're plenty hot enough in their current green state :o:o:o 

One of the slower plants has been flowering recently and is starting to produce. If they're kept inside in the warm, can they be fooled into thinking it isn't winter?
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,855
    Worth a try if you have a warm sunny spot indoors, but don't leave it on a windowsill overnight or it'll get a chill and sulk for ages
    Some people still have them growing at Christmas
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Desi_in_LondonDesi_in_London London regionPosts: 666
    For what it's worth - I can confirm that (London, not partic sunny patio) Apache did just fine outside in small (2 ish litre) pots with minimal attention from me other than emptying out the saucers each time we had torrential downpours. slugs kept eating the leaves ( they left the chillies themselves alone, so I figured I could wash and eat the fruit, and i'm still alive). I did grow superchilli ( and i like that better taste-wise than apache ) but that stayed indoors so can't comment on relative resilience to rubbish weather.
    Kindness is always the right choice.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 7,670
    Apache are doing fine outside in small-ish pots here in Sunny Doncaster. They were an impulse buy of a little pack of 4 seedlings from Aldi for not much more than a pound. They're a bit on the hot side for my liking, but OH likes them. Will try them green at some point.
    Sorry folks - I'm back!

Is it time to harvest my (still!) green chillies? A little one has gone manky so am I right in thinking that they're done and will now start to rot on the plant?

• EustaceEustace OxfordPosts: 1,401
    @Biglad I think that chilli has started shrivelling. I pick mine when they have shiny skins.
  • Desi_in_LondonDesi_in_London London regionPosts: 666
    @Biglad - is that one of your de cayennes? definitely looks past its best to me ( my eyes aren't great but it looks like rot vs just drying /shrivelling) - i'm sorry i can't remember if you had them outdoors or inside, but unless you can move to somewhere warm ( and not humid) inside to ripen on plant, if they were mine i'd harvest healthy green ones and use as green chillies ( which is mostly what indian /far eastern cooking uses anyway if not dried)
    Kindness is always the right choice.
    Yes - it doesn't look great does it, @Desi_in_London

This plant was in the mini greenhouse but I brought it inside a couple of weeks ago, in an attempt to give it more heat. No real change until I saw the one in the photo this morning.

Previously, I was just taking them off the plant when I wanted to use one, but I'm going to harvest the rest now before they start to look similar.

Thanks.
  • LG_LG_ SE LondonPosts: 4,049
    edited September 2021
    I keep my 'Cayenne' plants inside on a very sunny windowsill, which is also above a radiator. Harvested the last batch (all but a few) this morning - I'll leave the rest for a bit but the plants are looking pretty manky now so when I get fed up with them I'll harvest the rest whether they're red or still green. They go straight in the freezer.
    I'd definitely ditch that manky one, @Biglad!

'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
    You put me to shame @LG_ :D 

From what I've learnt this year I should do better in 2022.