Forum home Fruit & veg

How many chillies on an individual plant.

• BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 2,760
    Interestingly, this is the only one of 8 de Cayenne plants that has flowered so far. One other looks like it is about to have a handful but nothing doing with the other 6.

They were all sown at the same time in the same compost and pricked out uniformly. Their treatment (in terms of potting on and whereabouts they've been kept) since has been slightly varied. Presumably, this has affected their willingness to flower? Or maybe that's just what happens for no apparent reason?
  • Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 9,855
    Are you growing them inside or outside?
    If it's the latter then I think you can blame the poor chilly weather we've had up until a few days ago - talk about one extreme to the other!!
    Chillies shouldn't be fed at all until the first flowers appear or they'll put their energy into growing lots of lovely leaves at the expense of chillies
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
    They were all indoors until a few weeks ago @Pete.8 . Half a dozen are now in my 'blow-away' mini-greenhouse. This includes the one with 30+ flowers and the 'trier'

I think some of them have been in pots that were too small at some point during the process :( Maybe that has stunted their development.

I only started with the tomorite on the leader of the pack once he started flowering so I think I've done that bit right.
    The lack of flowers is probably down the environment they've been in not being ideal.
    All chillies need a long season of warmth and good strong sun to do their best.
    There's not much you can do other than keep them somewhere sunny and warm.
    I'm sure they will flower, and hopefully soon enough for the fruits to ripen.
    I don't pot mine up until they really need it, they don't seem to like having too much compost.
    I'm growing Yellow Wax in 2L pots  - smallish plants with quite a few good size chillies almost ready.
    Jalapeno in 5L pots - chillies are only just starting to form.
    Both sown on the same date and raised in propagator and greenhouse
    I've not tried growing de Cayenne so maybe they do need a long season
    edited July 2021
    If I manage to get a few chillies just from that one plant, I'll be happy @Pete.8 They aren't allowed to come back indoors  :o so hopefully it stays warm enough for long enough in the mini greenhouse. It's all a good learning curve for future years growing them anyway.

Thanks for all the information and answers to my questions.

Much appreciated.
    They should be fine outside from this time of year.
    They won't sulk if the night time teps stay in double figures.

It's not one I've grown, but Apache is reputed to be easy to grow and does well even in less than ideal conditions.
    As you can see from the above pic, Superchilli was easy and quite happy outside against a south facing wall
    Hoping you have a good harvest :)
    Just to update - no sign of red amongst the chillies yet. The best plant still has loads on (most of them approx. 4-6cms long) but all green. The days aren't getting any warmer or longer here, so I fear that may be my lot.

I'm tempted to annoy the OH and bring it back inside. Presumably that is a good idea?

Finally, apologies for my ignorance, can you eat/use green/unripe chillies?
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,143
    Yes you can use them … that’s what the green chillies in the shops are. 😊  Slightly different flavour … more tart, less fruity … some will have a bit less heat too. 
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• EustaceEustace OxfordPosts: 1,400
    Most of the Asian recipes make use of green chillies. I move my chilli plants to sunny sections of my patio during daytime, it has done wonders. HTH.
  • LG_LG_ SE LondonPosts: 4,049
    We've often used green chillies and they're good, just less hot. I'm letting them all get to red this year though - it's the one crop I don't put outside at all, they grow on the spare bedroom windowsill. Above a radiator early in the year, full sun thereafter. 
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero