Forum home The potting shed

🍹 🍓 🍨 RESURRECTED 107 🍨 🍓 🍹

• BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 1,887
    Hi all,

I've just dropped the key for the broken down car at the garage that I dumped it outside in the wee small hours. Needs a new EGR valve according the RAC chap. The car belongs to the OH @Ladybird4. She only bought it recently :( She just took another of our fleet and went off to work for the week ;) 

I've got running around a field duties in a couple of hours, but I may well fall asleep mid-game!

Is anybody else getting irritated by the increasing use of "Freedom Day"? I think we all know that large swathes of the population are going to take that "Freedom" too far, too soon. Sends out completely the wrong message IMO. I watched the Panorama programme on long covid last night and found it quite worrying.
  • star gaze lilystar gaze lily Posts: 15,318
    Agree with you @Biglad about 'Freedom day,' still too early IMO  Lots of people aren't wearing masks properly at the moment anyway.   Things won't change really  for myself and OH,  he's too vulnerable. 
    I can see us in another lockdown in a couple of months  
    Hope all goes well with the car.
  • Songbird-1Songbird-1 Posts: 2,982
    edited 13 July
    Morning all. A very damp and drizzly with rain again, it never stopped yesterday. OH has gone off to table tennis whilst Ive been for a walk to the shops. I'll have to tidy the garden up a bit today, it's all looking very bedraggled and I've lost two rose heads, their petals are all over the garden. Tall plants are bending over so it needs a general spruce up again. 
    @Biglad, one thing with cars, you are never rich when you own one.They're a drain on the finances but they are missed when we don't have one.
    Im with you @star gaze lily , SGL on masks. We too think they shouldn't have been taken off the easements list and we will continue to wear one where appropriate. Can't be too careful particularly with the cases rising again. In the North East here, we are topping the bill for cases. Thankfully, we don't live in the areas where the cases are high but that's no reason to get complacent. It won't surprise me if we are heading for another lockdown, particularly as the daily numbers of hospital admissions are on the rise again.
    @Ladybird4 , LB, thanks for updating me about Jack. I can quite imagine he would have been embarrassed by all the attention and aftermath, that generation just gets on with things and don't grumble. Glad he's had a good outcome though.
    @debs64 , what a gorgeous boy Thomas is. He is going to break some hearts when he's older😉😊 Can't believe five months have gone by already. Time is flying by.
    @Ante, good to see you. You are in a busy period of time now but don't overdo things and take time out for yourself. Your picture made me laugh, Seeing the cats up there, they've found the shade, cunning cats! Lovely.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 71,973
    edited 13 July
    Hello folks  :)  a busy morning here so far ... strong sunshine so even more watering than usual, bread dough made and on its first prove and bedlinen on the line ... lots more to do before I settle down to unpick the last row of that lacy pattern ... at the moment it's two steps forward and one back  :|  It'll be easier when I've done a whole 'repeat' of the panel ... then I can see what is supposed to happen and correct any mistakes as I go ... meanwhile, the next job is ............... weeding!  :p
    “I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 32,210
    Hello all. Back from the shearers. It was very quiet in town though the pavement bistros were doing good trade. The coffee shops that introduced those long before the dreaded Covid was ever mentioned must have been delighted that they were already set up for outside eating and drinking.
    Debs, I just want to pick up gorgeous little Thomas and give him a big squeeze. Cannot believe where that time has gone.
    SGL, have a lovely afternoon with the Poppets.
    Ante, I absolutely love your unusual vine. I would really like one of those in my garden. I cannot believe that you missed the final
    Biglad, will it be an expensive repair? I have to 'fess up that until you mentioned it I had never heard the expression 'Freedom Day'.
    I am not sure I'll be able to get into the garden this afternoon as its looking a wee bit threatening outside. Time will tell. It must be time for a cuppa.
    Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • LB a lovely picture to start the day.  Chive, we could all wish for such a garden😁.  Debs Thomas looks gorgeous at 5 months.  Enjoy today at home.  Ante congratulations on the final.  I missed the penalties.   I hope you, your cats and dog are doing well.  I see your cat on the vine.  Lily have a lovely visit with poppets this afternoon.    I’m having poached eggs on toast for lunch.  I bought the free range golden yolks.  Have a good day everyone.
  • TopbirdTopbird Posts: 6,363
    Hello all - a warm and sunny intervals sort of day here - may get out in the garden later. Didn't get any of the heavy rain forecast for yesterday so some watering will be required.

Hope the car repair isn't too costly Big Lad - such a pain when they go wrong.

Debs - lovely pic.

Ante - your pic made me laugh. Cats get everywhere don't they? One of them looks most uncomfortable straddling the support but (s)he seems quite content🙂

I'm another one uncomfortable with the full lifting of restrictions. I accept the need to get away from social distancing and for hospitality to be allowed to operate much more normally - but I definitely think that mask wearing should continue to be mandatory until we at least come out the other side of this third wave. It's a minor inconvenience that people have become accustomed to - and IMO even a poorly worn mask is better than no mask at all.

It's all very well saying it's for individual shops and companies to decide whether to insist on masks being worn - but we all know it's the poor individual bus drivers, shop workers etc etc are the ones who will actually have to police it. Which poor bu$$er on minimum wage is going to want to get into a confrontational conversation with a potentially aggressive 'customer' about mask wearing? It's very, very unfair of the government to shift the onus  onto them. 

As for Freedom Day.... There are so many people who are still highly vulnerable. For some it will actually be 'Going Back to Being a Hermit Day'.
    Of course we need to move on and get back to some sort of normality and, of course, that means some people will need to go back to being extra careful about social contact. But for the politicians and the press to actually refer to it as "Freedom Day" is highly insensitive and rubbing salt into the wounds of those whose recent tastes of normality are about to be severely curtailed.

That's my rant for the day over - sorry ....

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 16,793
    Hello all.

I'll carry on wearing a mask too. President Macron spoke to the French on TV last night. He encouraged them to get vaccinated, wear masks and take care.

Thomas is adorable @debs64.

I've been helping with the vicarage garden again this morning. I finished the bed I was doing. One of the church wardens had finished the patio I couldn't quite finish the other day. The whole place had been 2ft high in grass which had gone into the flower beds. You could hardly see plants for weeds, or the paving in the patio. Here is what I did.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Ladybird4Ladybird4 Third rock from the sunPosts: 32,210
    I wouldn't call that a rant T'Bird, you were just expressing your views so no need to apologise. Respect to you Busy. You have done an excellent job there. Are all your new plants settling well in your own garden?
    I am joining the ladies from the Flower Club this evening as we do the final tweaks to the bottles that will be used to decorate the 50th Anniversary dining tables later this year - only one year late but we all know what happened last year.

Cacoethes: An irresistible urge to do something inadvisable
  • BigladBiglad East LancashirePosts: 1,887
    Well said @Topbird.

Did my game in glorious sunshine this afternoon - too warm for that running around nonsense. I think I will be in the comfy armchair dozing all evening ;) 

Hoping to get into this week's "To Do" list in the morning. It's been a slow start this week mainly due to the car trouble :o