Forum home Fruit & veg

Should I thin strawberries?

tomhumftomhumf Killamarsh, NE Derbyshire, UKPosts: 61
We're getting a lot of strawberries but lots are going mouldy on the plants. I guess it's due to them not getting enough air. It seems a shame to remove plants but would that be the best option if they are too close? Otherwise would straw or removing the bed sides be an idea? 

• tomhumftomhumf Killamarsh, NE Derbyshire, UKPosts: 61

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    They look very congested there, so yes - it would be a good idea to divide them and pot up or plant out the excess. I can't see exactly how big the container is, but about four to six plants would probably be enough in there. 
    You should get runners on them too, which you can use to replace stock as the plants get older. About every three years or so is the norm for replacing old stock.  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,911
    Agree with fairy,far too many,very close together.
  • gondorgondor Posts: 135
    Agree that there are way too many plants in that.
    I put 6 small plants last year in a 50cm trough planter and none of them produced runners. This year I put half that amount in a trough, and only one of the plants has produced runners. The strawberries are small, and there have only been approx 5 per plant, so I think the more space you can give them, the better. They can get quite big!
    Not that I've actually managed to eat any due to the blackbirds and etc...
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 1,947
    Follow @Fairygirl's advice.  You could also net them to protect the fruit from the birds.