Forum home Plants

Japanese Anemone

Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 517
A few years ago I bought a Japanese Anemone that was about 18" tall, it grew slightly in later years to about 3'; this year it has shot up to about 6' tall. I am wondering if it was deliberately bred to be small and the original root has now taken over or if there is another explanation.

• Butterfly66Butterfly66 BirminghamPosts: 736
    They aren’t grafted so no different root to take over. Some perennials take a few years to achieve to their full height and size in the growing season
     If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.”—Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,325
    Your growing conditions also dictate the eventual size of any plant. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Pete.8Pete.8 Billericay, EssexPosts: 8,545
    I have 2 clumps of Japanese anemones and they both get to about 5ft+ every year
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit.
    Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
  • Loraine3Loraine3 Posts: 517
    Thanks for all your comments, looks like I will have to get digging in the autumn and move it to the back of the border!
    They'll creep back to the front of the border in a few years :)
    I face the same challenge, they can be rather wayward, so I dig/pull them out when they move from their allotted space
    Border is about 8' deep and some things at the back are completely obscured!
    I agree you plan to do the right thing, but the roots travel and new plants pop up again where they're not necessarily wanted.
    I've never planted any, so mine are escapees from next door, but I'm still mystified as to how they got to the other side of my garden.
    Just as well I like them (when they stay where I want them)
  • FerlieFerlie Posts: 1
    I saw online that the big varieties are those found at low zones in Japan, usually Pink. I have had quite a job eradicating some planted by a previous owner as they have fine black roots as well as the white ones that constantly regrow. Smaller varieties are those from Alpine zones usually white and these are easier to control and more suitable for front of border. Japanese Anemones are described as invasive on some sites, this should be made clearer on plant labels as to eventual height and spread. 
    Thanks for further comments, mine are pale pink, I also have white but they don't seem to get any taller!
  • bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 1,508
    We had ones from our local garden club which were brilliant for many years and then....gone.
    Never seen them since.
    Not sure why.