Forum home Garden design

Willow tree stump, what to do...?

jwg08jwg08 EssexPosts: 2

Hello all,
We have a large willow tree stump at the side of our garden right by the fence. It’s partly covered in ivy at the moment. Does anyone have any creative ideas of what could be done with it?
Appreciated in advance!

• FireFire LondonPosts: 10,832
    Is it still sprouting? It's hard to tell what is going on on the back. How long since it was cut down?

Use it as a feature - like an obelisk - grow things up it, roses, clems, fruit.

If you have kids, make a den between the stump and the fence. You could plant a live willow bender around part of it, as willow grows well where you are.

Use the stump as the base for a tree house.

If it's really dead, you could cut out the centre to make a very interesting grotto feature, to plant ferns etc. Kids would love it as a hidey camping out spot.

Or cut in two and make a small arbour in the middle

Put steps up to it and hang a hammock between the arms

It looks like a castle to me with so many possibilities. Whatever you do, don't take it out.
  • JennyJJennyJ DoncasterPosts: 4,339
    The middle pic looks to me like a headless chicken! It would be fun to somehow train the ivy to make a head on the right-hand side, and more of a tail on the other side.
  • jwg08jwg08 EssexPosts: 2
    Thanks! Yes it’s still sprouting, I just cut that back before taking those pictures. It was cut down about 2 years ago I think...