Forum home Tools and techniques

Drill

I seem to have very hard concrete and bricks so nails etc always bend. Are there any good cordless drills or wil they not be powerful enough. Any recommendations welcome! Many thanks.

• scrogginscroggin Posts: 18
    Ideally you need an SDS type drill, any of the good brands such as Makita or DeWalt should be fine, we use a cordless DeWalt 18V at work and it copes with drilling holes up to 20mm with no problems.
  • TheVanguardTheVanguard Posts: 95
    edited 8 July
    A normal drill will do for most jobs. I have a dewalt (usually get the ones with the metal Chuck) but I’m sure other brand are just as good. 

If drilling into something hard like concrete or stone you should make sure it’s in the hammer setting.

Decent drill bits are arguably as important as the drill. For concrete use  a HSS drill bit…I found Bosch blue bits are great.

For anything wider than say 10mm or so then as  poster above suggested an SDS drill is probably better….but unless you putting pipes or conduits through brick then it’s probably not needed. 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 39,567
    Almost any drill in the hammer position, with  a half decent masonry drill bit,  will drill holes in walls - whether through concrete or brick. That's certainly fine for holes deep enough for attaching trellis, brackets etc. 
    I've had various qualities of drill over the years, and even the cheapo [cordless] one I have now is absolutely fine for all the jobs I've had to do inside or outside at this house. Unless you're doing something major, it won't have to be fancy   :)

You mentioned nails - but you can't use nails for attaching anything to that kind of surface. You need rawlplugs and screws. 
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• scooty883scooty883 Posts: 34
    Hilti te30-a36.I have the corded version with transformer due to personal preference
  • pinutpinut Posts: 41
    I agree with scroggin.

I have both a DeWalt and a Makita SDS 18V lithium ion cordless drill - the latter being slightly more compact in size.

When compared to a normal cordless hammer drill/driver, the hammer action on an SDS drill is quite light and spongey. You find yourself drilling the hole in brick, concrete and stone much easier than expected.