Forum home Fruit & veg

Help identifying these pods

I was down by the sea (Dover) on the weekend and noticed these pods growing on bushes along the seafront where all the wildflowers are.  I recall seeing a sign for cabbage and kale, but unsure if this is what I have picked.  I did think it was kale pods but can't be 100% sure.  I have attached a picture of the bush I got them from but it isn't very clear. it's the spindly one without flowers on in front of the pink flowers.

If this is Kale, am I right in thinking I should leave to dry out in a brown paper bag until they go all dry, and then plant the seeds?  Also, will there be enough seeds in just 5 pods to actually grow anything?!

Finally, I noticed the little grub wriggling around this morning - must have come from inside one of them. Should I just release him into the garden? 

Thanks for any help provided!

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198
    I wouldn't release the grub - it looks like vine weevil larvae.
    Seed pods need to ripen on the plant for the seeds to be viable. Picking them before that won't work. 
    I don't think the photo is clear enough to ID the plant, but someone else might be able to suggest what it is  :)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• GirlinaboxGirlinabox Posts: 14
    Fairygirl said:
    I wouldn't release the grub - it looks like vine weevil larvae.
    Seed pods need to ripen on the plant for the seeds to be viable. Picking them before that won't work. 
    I don't think the photo is clear enough to ID the plant, but someone else might be able to suggest what it is  :)
    Hello thanks for your reply :) Should I kill the grub?  :s

So the pods are not ripe and therefore probably useless? 
    I would dispose of the larvae.
    I doubt those pods would be viable as they are. It's also not a good idea to grow/eat something unless you're 100% sure what it is. If you had a close up photo, someone would be able to ID it for you, then you could safley wait for ripened pods.  :)

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,596
    I would be almost positive those yellow flowers are not Kale, they are trumpet type flowers, brassicas are not like that.  I could be wrong. Usually am😀
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

I didn't think the plant the OP was referring to had flowers @Lyn. The flowers are behind the Valerian [?]
    Mind you - I wouldn't know a kale flower either- even  if it smacked me in the face!  :D

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 20,596
    Yes the red is Valerian. 
    Is there something else then between the yellows, reds and purples? 
    I think we need a clearer photo of which plant the OP really means. 
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,600
    Fairygirl said:
    I didn't think the plant the OP was referring to had flowers @Lyn. The flowers are behind the Valerian [?]
    Mind you - I wouldn't know a kale flower either- even  if it smacked me in the face!  :D

I WAS smacked in the face by kale flowers when I moved in here in April.

This is them....

The bees loved them.  I kept them for a month or two and then got rid of them and that rotten raised bed.  Fun times. 
  • TheGreenManTheGreenMan Tyne & Wear Green Belt Posts: 1,600
    I walk by a plant with those pods on an evening (I remember them as I have to move into the road to get by).  I'll see if I can get a pic of the whole plant/any flowers.
    It's the bare stem at the front of the pic - just right of centre @Lyn. The top of it is just showing above the rest of the flowers. 
    That's why I asked for a better close up photo too - just to be sure which plant it is.