Forum home Plants

growing for CUT FLOWERS 🌻🌼🌺🌿🌷🌹🌱🌻

FireFire Posts: 17,116
edited July 2021 in Plants
Which plants and varieties are you finding best for cut flowers?

Which last long, have good scent that keeps, go over with grace, are easy to grow, are reliable to grow cutting?

How many days do they last well in water?

🌱

• Bright starBright star Posts: 1,152
    edited July 2021
    I grow a few annuals that make good cut flowers but I wouldn’t say they are particularly scented but I grow them mainly for pollinators. Ammi majus and visnaga is a favourite filler for the vase and add a lovely frothiness to an arrangement, Calendula Indian prince, Antirrhinum is another favourite, tiny seeds but worth the effort, I grow from the Chantilly and Madam Butterfly series which are taller and have real visual impact in the vase and garden, helianthus Vanilla ice which have much smaller creamy yellow heads than the standard sunflower and flowers for a long period, larkspur or consolida as they call them these days, Dahlias, the  biannual Hesperis which does have a scent, foxgloves. Sarah Ravens website is the place to visit to get more ideas as she’s the cut flower queen and will give you info on conditioning plants to get a longer vase life and an indication of how long they’ll last. I forgot to add Sweet peas which I have a love/ hate relationship with, they have a very short vase life.
    Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.

• debs64debs64 Posts: 4,904
    I grow a whole bed of sweet peas at the allotment and in a good year get 100s of beautiful scented blooms. They are my favourite cut flower but I also grow ammi, gypsophilia and stocks and lots of gladioli for a particular vase/ location. Trying ranunculus this year. Lots of roses in the garden too. I also have pots of lilies and pinks in the garden but it’s always a dilemma whether to have a pretty garden or vases in the house. Hence the cut flower beds at the allotment which I plan to do more of next year. 
  • EustaceEustace Posts: 1,688
    I grow roses as cut flowers. Some last upto a week in the vase. I also grow gladioli, alstromeria, sweet Williams, dahlias, carnations. They usually end up in my vase, if there is a threat of rain and they last for quite a few days in the vase.
    Oxford. The City of Dreaming Spires.
    And then my heart with pleasure fills,
    And dances with the daffodils (roses). Taking a bit of liberty with Wordsworth :)

• FireFire Posts: 17,116
    edited July 2021
    I am a big Sarah Raven fan. I have found that petunia Tidal Wave Red Velour does very well as a cut flower - lasting for a week, which comes as some surprise. It looks so delicate

I am trialling my roses at the moment to see which does best cut. At the moment Dr Jamain is doing best and lasting very well and holding scent for days, which again, is some surprise. I grow mine on a NE fence, which might help them last. I find that with roses, choosing the moment to pick them, makes a big difference to how well they will last.

Sweet williams are always good value. Sunflowers of any type. I have a perennial sunflower trying to return this year but it is really struggling to get past the slugs and shoot. I can't really grow most herbaceous perennials.

My great discovery of the week is the perennial foxgloves from the Illumination series. I have Flame and it's doing so well in a vase. They are said to flower right through the season until the frosts, so I'm rather excited about that (I am growing mine this year in tall pots). The florets last ages on the plant and the bees love them, so it does deserve the medals it has won for its development, I think.

Tall cosmos is always delightful. Hereuca flowers always add a lift to an arrangement. I wish I could grow gyp.

- -
    Digiplex Illumination Flame, petunia Red Velour and rosa Dr Jamain

- - -
    Feverfew lasts very well, I find, and heuchera last ages as they slowly dry out. (Again with D. Illumination Flame).

• bcpathomebcpathome Posts: 1,035
    What about dahlias beautiful flowers but no scent . If you want scent it has to be roses ,try Sheila’s Perfume or Mum in a Million or Deep Secret all have long vase life and smell Devine 
  • FireFire Posts: 17,116
    Dahlias. Yes indeed @bcpathome
    Good to know about rosa Deep Secret lasting well. I have it fairly new planted and hope for great things.

• bcpathomebcpathome Posts: 1,035
    Had mine for about 5 years. It never disappoints me 
  • EustaceEustace Posts: 1,688
    Alliums also last well in the vase; you can still have the dried out flowers with the seed pods for a long time in your flower arrangements.

Oxford. The City of Dreaming Spires.
    And then my heart with pleasure fills,
    And dances with the daffodils (roses). Taking a bit of liberty with Wordsworth :)

• I've grown freesia this year. A little temperamental but they've flowered in my plastic greenhouse and the smell is amazing. They need staking and heat. But have been relatively easy to grow and I've fed with tomato food.
  • Bright starBright star Posts: 1,152
    I have very mixed results with cosmos, I think it’s because I sow them too early in my eagerness to sow the seeds, I love the flowers especially tall dazzler and not so tall Rubenza. I’m growing a perennial sunflower this year for the first time and it’s already 5 feet tall and still to flower, it’s called lemon queen and hasn’t needed staking yet🎉, I saw them last year in the large borders at RHS Harlow Carr and they were really buzzing with bees 🐝. 
    I’m also growing sweet Williams (Sooty) as they are very reliable and last up to a fortnight in a vase. 
    Life's tragedy is that we get old too soon and wise too late.