Forum home Plants

Squirrel issues!

Wrigs21Wrigs21 Posts: 194
edited July 2021 in Plants
Up until recently my Calamagrostis brachytricha we’re looking really healthy however a squirrel has desecrated all the new growth. 

Anyone know any tricks to stop this as soon will have nothing left! 

• bertrand-mabelbertrand-mabel Posts: 2,647
    Are you sure it is squirrel damage?
    We have real issues with pigeons taking the new leaves on our fruit trees but the squirrels only go for the hazelnuts or the peanuts on the bird feeder.
    We had to hang old CDs on the damaged trees to try and deter them. Not easy for you to do unless you net them for awhile to allow the new growth to develop.
  • Wrigs21Wrigs21 Posts: 194
    edited July 2021
    Yes caught them red handed on a few occasions! Ive put up a fake stork a left over from when we purchased the house for the pond, which seems to deter neither other storks and as it seems Squirrel’s! My attempt at coating them in hot chilli powder water also seems to have failed so clearly I have found the only squirrel thats fond of a hot and spicy Nando’s. 
    Next stop is a moving owl but any other humane options are welcome as soon will have nothing left this year :)
  • ErgatesErgates Posts: 2,885
    I have an ugly Berberis Darwinii with very spiky leaves. I was going to remove it, but have instead been pruning branches off to protect other plants with. Keeps the rabbits and squirrels off, but obviously doesn’t look very good, which rather defeats the object.
  • FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 54,716
    They can be a real nuisance, but I find having a peanut feeder keeps them away from the more attractive plants they might go for - although it's mainly bulbs they like in my garden. I know it seems counter productive, but I wonder if its worth trying?

Failing that - it's a gun... ;)
    It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
    I’ve tried the bird feeder which they ransacked but have then gone back to the grasses for desert! Running riot. Amazed how much they have destroyed, can’t sadly see them making a come back this year sadly. Trying an ultrasound and apparently peppermint oil failing that I might have to get some target practise in! (I am joking) 
    So on the chance someone else has this issue I can confirm that the ultrasonic animal repeller nor peppermint oil works for scaring squirrels however my garden can now clear most nasal issues!

I literally have no Calamagrostis left sadly so lets hope they get a taste for something else next year.  
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Posts: 12,362
    I watched a young squirrel on top of my trellis look at me through the kitchen window and then calmly ate a clematis bud, almost daring me to stop him/her.
    North East Somerset - Clay soil over limestone
  • philippasmith2philippasmith2 Posts: 3,671
    Once squirrels discover your garden, there is little you can do.  Protect what you can but they will persist :)
    Hooked up a humane trap so they’ll be going on a little holiday soon! 
  • CostumedVoleCostumedVole Posts: 257
    Wrigs21 said:
    So on the chance someone else has this issue I can confirm that the ultrasonic animal repeller nor peppermint oil works for scaring squirrels however my garden can now clear most nasal issues!

I literally have no Calamagrostis left sadly so lets hope they get a taste for something else next year.  
    Supersoaker water pistol?