Forum home The potting shed

RHS Flower Shows 2021

• BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,596
    One group - so often overlooked - I would applaud were the litter pickers. The site was immaculate.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 13,893
    Onobrychis viciifolia - completely new to me. Good to see it on the show. I'll be adding it to the sandy pavement plot next year, for sure. A drought-tolerant bee drug. A legume like vetch. Very high in nectar, like borage or purple tansy.
    edited September 2021
    This is Bunny's take on Chelsea. She has designed nine gardens there and been a Chelsea judge in her career and I always appreciate her insider insights, especially on the background details. She often disagrees with the judging.

She mentions that this year's Yeo Valley garden is the first time in Chelsea history that there has been a fully organic garden shown, as certified by the Soil Assoc. Which is a bit of a surprise.

• Lizzie27Lizzie27 SomersetPosts: 9,212
    Many thanks for that link @Fire, I enjoyed it very much - I missed most of the BBC coverage.
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 9,539
    Thanks so much for posting that @Fire.
     In some ways l felt l got more information, more insight and a different perspective of the gardens than in a whole week of BBC coverage. 
    Definitely something to be said for filming before the crowds arrive. 
    edited September 2021

I like that Bunny can be quite frank and doesn't pull punches - like saying this time that the judges are entirely wrongheaded and missing the point. It helps that she knows all the RHS people, the designers and growers.

She also doesn't seem to hold grudges and isn't bitter or sour, just enthusiastic (and successful) with a subject she loves.  She admits her mistakes, oversights and ignorance very freely, which is entirely endearing.
    Lovely to see those bee tubes @Athelas - I hadn't seen those before. Beautiful artifacts. Thanks for posting.