Forum home The potting shed

RHS Flower Shows 2021

• agoodrumagoodrum Nottingham Posts: 30
    All great pictures,and thanks for posting them. 👍🙂
  • chicky said:

On the other hand Mr C was appalled that they had transported 70 massive, hugely heavy rocks from Russia to make a spectacle that lasts a week ….at the same time as the RHS is professing to care about CO2 emissions.

I would have loved that planting if it had been set in manmade hypertufa 😜
    Not to mention many plants kept in cold storage to extend or prolong flowering. 
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 17,522
    Thank you @chicky and @BenCotto, great photos.
    Dordogne and Norfolk
  • Lizzie27Lizzie27 Bath, SomersetPosts: 8,563
    Agreed, thanks @chicky and @BenCotto.

I think I prefer May and June colours as well but there were some stunners there. I particularly loved the purple thalictrum and grow it myself. 
  • AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,697
    Some very interesting points raised there @Alan Clark2 in Liverpool.
     I read another gardening journalist's blog that said it felt a lot less "corporate" than usual, and they welcomed the feeling of space. I last visited Chelsea back in the last century 😳 and enjoyed it, but any flower show where l can't buy plants (l know they can be ordered etc.) is definitely missing something as far as l'm concerned. 
    Have said that, l feel that if any gardener is given the opportunity to visit Chelsea at least once, they should take it. One for the bucket list.
    I see nurseries such as Hardy's are giving it a miss and doing shows such as Malvern this weekend instead. 
  • BenCottoBenCotto RutlandPosts: 3,309
    An excellent opinion piece; thanks for linking it @Alan Clark2 in Liverpool
  • Allotment BoyAllotment Boy North London Posts: 4,557
    Yes some interesting points,  but I think the criticism of extra spaces is a bit misplaced considering the pandemic.  If he's really that bored with it,  don't go for a few years.  I have been 1/2 a dozen times but spread over a 40 year period.  At one point we found the crowds a bit overwhelming , so only returned when they restricted the numbers a bit. I  do agree about the intrusive TV crews though, my sister made a formal complaint to the RHS  one year- I don't think it's made any difference though. 
    AB Still learning

• FireFire LondonPosts: 12,242
    I'm really glad Chelsea had good weather this year. It would have been a shame for it to be a wash out after all this time.