Forum home The potting shed

RHS Flower Shows 2021

• LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,565
    edited July 2021
    KT53 said:
    As the show was apparently much smaller than usual was the entry charge similarly reduced?  I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to that one.
    I can't remember what it has been in previous years, but I don't think there's a significant difference!

Edited to add: I've just checked. I went in 2018 when it was a couple of quid cheaper than this year. And in 2019 when it was a fiver cheaper! It must cost a lot to put on, especially with all the COVID measures, and they can't sell as many tickets this year, so I don't actually mind.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,249
    Am with you Fire, I see some one put they don't like flowers,not sure why you would go to a Flower Show then,!!
  • CharlotteFCharlotteF East Surrey, UKPosts: 337
    I went yesterday with a friend who had a spare ticket at the last minute and had the best experience of the 3 years I've been.

It was VERY wet yesterday so I hope a drier day today gives the ground time to dry out a bit and/or for them to get some more woodchip down as it was pretty slippy and we did briefly get stuck in the mud getting out of the car park!

However the cooler weather made it for me and we were there from 10-5 which is far longer than I've lasted on the other hot occasions I've been! The reduction in numbers (though it still felt very busy) meant the floral marquee felt much less overwhelming. 

I liked most of the show gardens, lots of naturalistic planting which is my kind of thing, but it depends on your preferences I suppose. The plane was the only 'what on earth?!' 'garden' we hated. Fairly good turnout from the nurseries and obviously loads of trade stands for all and sundry other stuff. I wouldn't say it felt much smaller than 2019 which was my last visit. All in all a good day out 👍
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278
    Was it my admission about not really being a flower person @Nanny Beach that prompted your comment?  I like flowers but am no good at growing them unless they are edible, I am trying to expand my horizons however.

Just to note that Hampton is a Garden Festival and not a Flower Show and I thoroughly enjoyed my day out.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
    Yes Herbaceous,it was. You also said you were disappointed in the variety of planting,"airy fairy", you didn't like the conceptual gardens
     Course, the post was headed Hampton court Flower show,i think a lot of folk call it that. I go for the gardens and plants, hate all the "non gardening" stuff there.
    No, it's headed RHS Flower Shows, as a collective term, to cover not just Hampton Court Garden Festival (which was called a flower show until a couple of years ago, but the name was changed to reflect what it's actually about) but also Chelsea, Tatton etc. It was not my intention to judge anyone's reasons for going, and I found Herbaceous' comments useful and informative.
    - Cicero
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,278
    I understand @Nanny Beach and maybe we agree about the conceptual gardens? Not usually very garden orientated more into sending messages  :)  

I too go for the gardens and plants, veg, herbs and flowers, and also because I will never own one of those magnificent tree waterfalls but I get to stand next to them and dream for a few minutes every year.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
    Having now watched the second TV programme (from Thursday) I'm really pleased I bought a ticket and am very much looking forward to tomorrow. It looks as though there may even be more of interest to me than usual🤞🏼
    - Cicero
    Alright LG serious jealous here! Am interested how folks get there. We always drove,park and ride,so we can get the plants home! It's about 70 miles away from us
    Well we don't have a car, so that's never an option! It's obviously not so far from us, but it's the worst part of London & surrounds for us to get to so takes a surprisingly long time - about 1.5+ hrs 
    - Cicero