Forum home The potting shed

RHS Flower Shows 2021

• AnniDAnniD Posts: 8,465
    Got to love a chilled atmosphere. 
    Thanks @LG_ :)
  • watching the coverage now.thrilled to see a gardening show on tv again!! hated the plane.lovely to see Rachel looking so well
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,257
    Went on Wednesday with my daughter and had a wonderful day.  It is smaller with fewer people, stands and gardens but despite this it felt crowded - fallout from no social interaction for over a year I'm thinking.

Turned a corner and came upon the plane and we both stopped, did a "What the..." and moved on - not impressed.  Felt the gardens were either very informal and/or had a lot of hard landscaping and buildings, really enjoyed the community allotments but it wasn't as easy to chat to contributors and stallholders because of social distancing.

Glad we went as any trip out is a bonus and minor difficulties did not spoil the day.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,472
    I thought that there seemed to be an abundance of hard landscaping when I watched the TV programme on Wednesday. I guess that's easier to bring together at short notice, if the plans are already done. Is it possible to go into any of the gardens, @herbaceous ? There's usually a few that can be walked through rather than viewed from the edge, but I wonder if that's been a victim of social distancing?
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • Nanny BeachNanny Beach Posts: 7,057
    Normally we go, wedding anniversary present,of course there are hard surfaces,I feel that the gardens are to give ideas of what you can do,made very quickly,3 weeks this time. I've always wondered why pays,and what do they cost. I thought the idea of a plane crash, children's toys was rather sick. Ironic from an ex Pilot. Does she think we should ban aircraft to save the planet. We are doing our bit,big or small, while India are building 100 fossil fuel power stations,and China countless more.
  • yes I thought I'd tuned into a rather nice house programme not gardens!!!lovely outside furniture and an outside kitchen.lovely!but the weather in this country is so changeable you need somewhere to store all those cushions.. 
  • herbaceousherbaceous E. BerksPosts: 2,257
    There are a few @LG_ but not that many that we saw, entry was controlled to preserve SD and it was more difficult to saunter which I found frustrating especially going through the no-dig patch where I would have liked to stop and ask a few questions.

Don't know about the conceptual gardens as we tend to avoid them and didn't find any of the 'Getting started' gardens open although they were mostly viewable from the edges anyway. Not really a flower person (but still trying to improve  :) ) but a bit disappointed in the limited planting in quite a few of the gardens, lots of airy fairy stuff like sanguisorba, verbena, the tall floaty white one and grass.

Breathed a sigh of relief when we saw the Down Memory Lane garden but that is likely my age and finding something familiar. There are many good gardens and I am sure you will have a lovely time.
    "The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it."  Sir Terry Pratchett
  • LG_LG_ gardens in SE LondonPosts: 3,472
    Ah that's good to hear, @herbaceous (that you can walk through some, I mean). There always was a certain level of controlled entry for those anyway, in order to avoid them becoming overcrowded and possibly trampled! I guess with SD it's just a bit sparser, which is no bad thing.

Cushion/furniture storage was my first thought too, @the tidy gardener! You'd need an entire room / shed for some of them. Still, good to see all kinds of ideas.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.'
    - Cicero
  • KT53KT53 Posts: 5,715
    As the show was apparently much smaller than usual was the entry charge similarly reduced?  I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to that one.
  • FireFire LondonPosts: 11,543
    I've been really enjoying the Beeb coverage of Hampton.

I don't know why people would post on the thread just to tell us how much they loathe RHS shows.